Question on Masks…

Hate to be nitpicking, but the mask policy is a bit unclear to me. Otakon page says masks to be required (with a handful of exceptions). But then it also says to follow CDC guidlelines - and using the link they provided, the CDC clarifies that anyone fully vaccinated can resume normal pre-pandemic life/activity (maskless). 

There’s still time of course for new guidelines to come out and this could all change, but do we know if the convention center is requiring everyone to mask up?

Not that this makes or breaks my attendance, I can’t wait to get back and I hope we get a good amount of people to come out this year too!!

• Like 1

The short answer is that as of right now, everyone is required to wear masks at all times, save for specific circumstances.

While the CDC does set guidelines we can still be more restrictive if we feel it is in our organization's best interest. With that in mind providing a safe environment for all of our attendees is important to us, and in this case we still have to be concerned about those who are not vaccinated like children under 12 or those who may be immunocompromised or living with someone at high risk.  The most straightforward way to accomplish this is to require everyone to wear masks. 

I have a question out of curiosity (purely curiosity, as I have masks out the ying-yang and plan to bring a good supply with me).  Will there be a "mask station" for people who lose / forget / whatever their masks ad don't have one?

• Like 1

I recently got a mask that I think'll match my cosplay frickin' perfectly! I can't wait to go to con now!

On 6/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, shadowspawn said:

I have a question out of curiosity (purely curiosity, as I have masks out the ying-yang and plan to bring a good supply with me).  Will there be a "mask station" for people who lose / forget / whatever their masks ad don't have one?

That's an interesting question... I'm sorta curious too. I'll have at least one mask on me but it'd be good to grab a backup if you leave it in your hotel room or something...

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
added quote
  • Like 1

I have my masks all ready but I also wanted some clarification too if possible! The Marriot Marquis is following CDC guidelines and states that all vaccinated visitors do not need to wear a mask inside the hotel. At what point will Otakon be mandating masks? Before the elevator down? In the tunnel? Also, unrelated, but does anyone know if bag check still happening given the current circumstances?

• Like 1

--not staff--

DC says that fully-vaccinated people don't need to wear masks. And here's the thing--because Otakon isn't requiring proof of vaccination, there's no way for staff or fellow congoers to know if you are, in fact, vaccinated. Events DC lets organizers set their own policy and that's where Otakon came down. The website doesn't say they'll copy CDC policy to the letter, but let CDC guidance inform their own guidelines, and those are what they are right now. And really, is having to wear a mask that big a deal?

If Otakon hadn't established a mask policy, people from outside the area likely would have been skittish about coming to the con.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, Kotori said:

I have my masks all ready but I also wanted some clarification too if possible! The Marriot Marquis is following CDC guidelines and states that all vaccinated visitors do not need to wear a mask inside the hotel. At what point will Otakon be mandating masks? Before the elevator down? In the tunnel? Also, unrelated, but does anyone know if bag check still happening given the current circumstances?

Since we are not planning on using any space in the hotel for programming this year, the mask rule begins at the entrances to the convention center. This would be the end of the tunnel where it opens into the convention center. Of course we would encourage you to wear your masks in the tunnel as well.

As for the bag check, the details are still being hammered out but I would expect it to be around in some form.

I do not know if we are going to have 'mask stations' setup at all the entrances, although it has been something we've been discussing the logistics of.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Aresef said:

--not staff--

DC says that fully-vaccinated people don't need to wear masks. And here's the thing--because Otakon isn't requiring proof of vaccination, there's no way for staff or fellow congoers to know if you are, in fact, vaccinated. Events DC lets organizers set their own policy and that's where Otakon came down. The website doesn't say they'll copy CDC policy to the letter, but let CDC guidance inform their own guidelines, and those are what they are right now. And really, is having to wear a mask that big a deal?

If Otakon hadn't established a mask policy, people from outside the area likely would have been skittish about coming to the con.

Well put~ I think everyone has similar expectations/experiences navigating other businesses guidelines.  I was just confused at the wishy-washy way they had worded it before.  “Masks: yes, but bc of the CDC” Again I’m nitpicking, but I wanted to be clear a mask policy was being established and it wasn’t simply written to match an outdated CDC guideline.

Also, if Otakon sells a face mask to match this year’s conshirt, I’d definitely  get one 😊 

https://twitter.com/JulieZauzmer/status/1420783188587257859

Note: DC just issued a mask mandate covering all indoor settings, starting Saturday 7/31, applicable to everyone age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status. 

1 hour ago, Wingchild said:

Note: DC just issued a mask mandate covering all indoor settings, starting Saturday 7/31, applicable to everyone age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status. 

• Except when eating. That's when COVID mysteriously disappears only to reappear when you get up to go to the bathroom 
50 minutes ago, TnAdct1 said:

I'm confused here.

While I can understand wearing it in the hotel lobby (and traveling to and from my room), does this mean I need to wear a mask when I'm in my hotel room as well?

Do you really think anyone is going to come around and police if you’re wearing a mask in your hotel room? Being in a hotel room really is not considered being in public so no, nobody is going to enforce you wearing a mask in a hotel room.

• Haha 2