New to Conventions

I'm having trouble finding a list of the vendors attending otakon 2021. Is this usually the case? If so what day would be best to attend if I'm primarily looking to buy stuff at the convention. Also interested in the panelists but not as worried about that.

The list of vendors hasn't yet been published but should be available closer to the con.

Generally, the most stuff is happening on Saturday but it's also the most expensive day to attend. You could come down on Sunday but some vendors may be out of some things. Have you considered Friday? Are you seriously not considering the whole weekend?

Generally...(and this is more like "as an attendee for many years" response and not to be taken as a "staffer-in-the-know" response cuz I know nothing)

Friday is better day to look for things you think might be "limited"

Sunday is better day to look for things that might go on sale but not necessarily limited especially Manga or DVDs stuff, etc. cuz vendors rather bring/ship less back with them.

Saturday is kind of a "wild card"....since it's the longest day dealer's is open (arguably) I've seen some vendors in the past do "time limited" sales/giveaways/events at their booths throughout the day Sat. Also a few times I've seen [smaller] vendors not show up on Friday but they show only on Sat....I do not know if that's planned/intentional or not though...

EDIT: This is NOT to say they won't do "time limited" things on the other days...it's just cuz Sat is sort of "longer" they tend to do it on Sat...?

...again I stress that this is "from what I've seen in the past as an attendee"

Edited by Ikano
10 hours ago, Ikano said:

Saturday is kind of a "wild card"....since it's the longest day dealer's is open

This isn't true. The Dealer Hall is open for 8 hours both Friday and Saturday. Typically 12PM to 8 PM Friday and 10AM to 6PM Saturday. 

43 minutes ago, Krabstarr said:

This isn't true. The Dealer Hall is open for 8 hours both Friday and Saturday. Typically 12PM to 8 PM Friday and 10AM to 6PM Saturday. 

Well I did say "arguably"...you just cut that part off when you quoted me 😆

But thanks for the hours. Don't have the old schedules in front of me but it always feels longer on Sat lol.

That also proves that I know nothing 🤣

Edited by Ikano

God help you if you are looking for any video games. If any of the more local vendors don’t show up you will be stuck with only Video Games New York. Their prices were sky high before the pandemic. Just imagine how jacked up they will be now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DeskLaser said:

God help you if you are looking for any video games. If any of the more local vendors don’t show up you will be stuck with only Video Games New York. Their prices were sky high before the pandemic. Just imagine how jacked up they will be now.

You're right that they're the biggest video game vendor but I don't think they're the *only* one. But TBH, as I think about it, even at MAGFest, most of the vendors aren't selling video games but instead T-shirts and art and music.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:09 AM, Ikano said:

Well I did say "arguably"...you just cut that part off when you quoted me 😆

But thanks for the hours. Don't have the old schedules in front of me but it always feels longer on Sat lol.

That also proves that I know nothing 🤣

They could have made it more clear 🙂

dealer2.JPG.ab88ad733e6ccd8101d54b8936767871.JPG

I'm hoping that Discover Teas shows up this year. (They were going to be there in 2020.) Even though I shouldn't buy more teas, I love trying new ones.

• Haha 1

I hope Wild Bill's soda fountain shows up. They were at Nekocon two years ago and have a great deal where you can get 50% off all refills all weekend if you buy one of their stainless steel mugs. 

9 hours ago, Aresef said:

You're right that they're the biggest video game vendor but I don't think they're the *only* one. But TBH, as I think about it, even at MAGFest, most of the vendors aren't selling video games but instead T-shirts and art and music.

MAGFest is not really a place you go to looking for vendors. But yes, there has been a lot more of a shift towards arts and crafts. Usually at anime cons Video Games New York is the only seller for video games, maybe one or two others may be there.

1 hour ago, KyoKyo said:

I hope Wild Bill's soda fountain shows up. They were at Nekocon two years ago and have a great deal where you can get 50% off all refills all weekend if you buy one of their stainless steel mugs. 

I picked up the Otakon 2020 mug during Ota Online, and picked up the holiday pack over Christmas, so I have 3 of coupons for the '1 free day of refills' somewhere. Only problem is that mug (32 oz.) is more soda than I drink in a week. (I split my sodas w/ my family so we all have a little. Less sugar that way.)

I'm also hoping Yen Press would be there with some even early copies of the Konasuba RPG. It's due in October, but there's always a chance...