Where to Eat for Otakon 2021

Hello folks!  it's finally that time of year for me to upload videos on things like safety, transportation, random things and of course, where to eat for Otakon! I missed doing this last year, so am happy to be able to do it again!! As I post these videos, if you have any questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Without further ado....

Where to Eat for Otakon 2021, Part One

• Like 2

How's Daikaya Ramen? I was looking for a place for my brother & I to go on Thursday, and the pictures on their menu look really tempting. The nice looking menu choices and the fact they have a Hefeweizen on tap there puts in in my 'want to check this out further' column.

Actually, this is somewhat relevant to the subject - when you purchase alcohol at the Safeway, do they have a specific register to check you out, or can you just go to the self checkout and plonk it down there? I'm from PA, and our Byzantine liquor laws always lean towards the restrictive side of things.

@Revan 

It's been some time since I've been there, but I remember it being good! If it helps, reviews appear to be pretty positive for the most part. Hmmm...when I hit town this weekend, I just may eat there...

As far the alcohol goes, I am assuming you mean the Safeway in DC. Safeway doesn't carry beer or wine in MD for the most part (except for one or two in Montgomery County and possibly somewhere on the eastern shore) like most grocery chains. You will be able to check out at any register...however...if you go to the self check out, once you scan the beer/wine, everything stops until a clerk comes up to you to check your ID. Sometimes, they may have a sign directing you to a regular checkout if they don't have the staff for the self-checkout. 

BTW, no ID really does mean no booze. it's no joke there. Just like in MD and PA. Here in MD, we have our own weird set of laws as well (I work currently at A and A Wine and Spirits as the Beer Coordinator near Annapolis) so I hear your pain. 

If I eat at Daikaya, I'll do a small write up here! Have a good one!

I wish we could have something in write-up form. My girlfriend can only do Friday and I want to take her for lunch someplace reasonably close, not too crowded and not outlandishly expensive. I worry that's too much to ask.

To get inexpensive food and drinks from a place that's open 24/7, a 7-Eleven opened in 2020 that's a very short walking distance from the convention center, I created a thread about it: 7-Eleven has opened what seems to be the future of US 7-Eleven stores in Washington D.C. that's open 24/7 and is within close walking distance from the Mount Vernon Place entrance of the convention center. (otakon.com)

Edited by KSweeley
Added that drinks are also available.
  • Thanks 1

I just had a great idea for that lunch date--Busboys & Poets. Nobody from Otakon thinks to go there, speaking from experience.

16 hours ago, bigstevegearhart said:

Alright folks, here is Part Two! About how to get to and around the city!!!

Next week will be about the food!

Thank you for watching!!

https://youtu.be/g5_BxjJtfac

I’ve been parking at Shady Grove and riding in on the metro for years. No driving in the city and no obnoxious parking fees. I travel alone and don’t have cosplays so I can make that happen.

• Like 1

Silver Spring also works well now that NOAA is largely teleworking

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

On 7/21/2021 at 2:31 PM, Aresef said:

I just had a great idea for that lunch date--Busboys & Poets. Nobody from Otakon thinks to go there, speaking from experience.

I've never been keen on their menu, tbh.

12 minutes ago, windseeker said:

I've never been keen on their menu, tbh.

I liked it last time I was there, though it's been a few years. They're veg-friendly, that's a plus in my book.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:13 PM, DeskLaser said:

I’ve been parking at Shady Grove and riding in on the metro for years. No driving in the city and no obnoxious parking fees. I travel alone and don’t have cosplays so I can make that happen.

I'm honestly thinking of doing that since the Marriott's parking prices are obscene. Might take the metro in from New Carrollton. 

Where ever you decide to eat near Otakon will likely be crowded and probably mask free. Keep that in mind. We'll see where support really falls for masks when we see how many Otakon attendees rock masks by choice at near by places all weekend vs the con center.

NANDO'S.

also seconding 7-11 -- particularly if you have a boatload of reward points banked. After con in 2019, I hit up a nearby 7-11, and got a pizza, nachos, a couple sodas, chips, and a sandwich and more chips for lunch the next day, and it was mostly free.

Not being able to make Ota this year means I have more time to bank points for Neko, if I'm able to go. There are IRL logistics involved. 'nuff said

Edited by onsenmark

Alright! This is the last Where to Eat for Otakon for 2021!

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to make it even for one day, but I hope the rest of you have a GREAT time! Also, a buddy of mine is doing THREE panels there this year! His name is Brent P. Newhall, please go to his panels and show him some love! Without further ado....

https://youtu.be/wKiARObWMgU

• Like 1
7 hours ago, onsenmark said:

NANDO'S.

also seconding 7-11 -- particularly if you have a boatload of reward points banked. After con in 2019, I hit up a nearby 7-11, and got a pizza, nachos, a couple sodas, chips, and a sandwich and more chips for lunch the next day, and it was mostly free.

Not being able to make Ota this year means I have more time to bank points for Neko, if I'm able to go. There are IRL logistics involved. 'nuff said

Everyone flips their ---- over Nando’s way too much for it to be a viable option. You’re going to be waiting for a very long time.

15 hours ago, DeskLaser said:

Everyone flips their ---- over Nando’s way too much for it to be a viable option. You’re going to be waiting for a very long time.

I ate there once. Once! Not a fan of spicy food. Ordered something mild and some vegetables. The blasted vegetables were torching my mouth.  🤢

DC is reinstating the mask mandate. I guess people will be wearing masks at the businesses around the convention center. 

1 hour ago, sjmorgan said:

DC is reinstating the mask mandate. I guess people will be wearing masks at the businesses around the convention center. 

That really doesn't bother me, as I still wear a mask while going shopping even though I was vaccinated almost 3 months ago.

I tried Nando's once - it's decent enough, I suppose. I do like their Garlic Peri Peri sauce.

Looked at the map, there's a subway not far away from the convention. 12 inches with a cookie and drink is a pretty good lunch and not that expensive 

Edited by Gordons101
10 hours ago, Gordons101 said:

Looked at the map, there's a subway not far away from the convention. 12 inches with a cookie and drink is a pretty good lunch and not that expensive 

I second that.

I used to bring several cans of Chef Boyardee pasta with me a long time ago (when I used to drive to the convention), to tie me over. Would heat them up on the microwave or on the coffee maker's heating plate.

17 hours ago, Gordons101 said:

Yeah, that's right across the street from the Mt. Vernon Square metro -- very handy!

On 7/21/2021 at 6:13 PM, DeskLaser said:

I'll be taking the Red Line too.  Though there's gonna be a few closed stations on Saturday and Sunday I think.  If they operate things the way they've done in the past, there'll be free shuttle buses traveling to each metro stop.  But they sometimes have a free express shuttle that'll by-pass all the closed stations and will take you to the next open station.  Sure do hope they have the express shuttle available, otherwise it might be a long bus ride.

P.S.  There's a 7-Eleven and McDonald's right across from the White Flint subway on the Red Line (sort of close to Shady Grove).  Though the McDonald's burgers sometimes are very salty there.  But those places sure are handy, being right across from the subway.  Also, McDonald's looks closed during the daytime if you're across the street from them -- they're really open, it only looks dark because the lights inside aren't very bright.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, Revan said:

That really doesn't bother me, as I still wear a mask while going shopping even though I was vaccinated almost 3 months ago.

Same thing here. Unless I'm at my office at work, eating, or visiting family, I keep the mask on whenever I go places.