Can't help but notice

That isn't surprising.

As the first major anime convention since the pandemic, there's still a number of factors going into it that could make some people reluctant to go (in particular, what measures will be enforced to prevent COVID from affecting the con, those who have not yet received their vaccination yet, people living outside the DC area that are uncertain to travel out-of-state at the moment). As such, I can understand how hotels still have rooms available even when the con is a little more than two weeks away.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, TnAdct1 said:

As such, I can understand how hotels still have rooms available even when the con is a little more than two weeks away.

I feel kind of nostalgic in a way. I remember the latest I ever reserve a room for Otakon was when it was just a week away (that was back in the 1990s when Otakon was still held in a hotel).

We (Otakon) keeps a hold on a block of rooms in the Marquis for our own needs (staff rooms, guests, contracts, etc.).  The unused rooms were recently released, hence the extra availability in the Marquis.