Jump to content

A wild schedule has appeared!


Recommended Posts

As is tradition, we like to give you fine Otaku on the BBS a little heads up before we make the big announcement to the world tomorrow...

The schedule is available on the website: https://www.otakon.com/schedule/ !

Note, we're still waiting on final confirmation for pretty much all the video rooms and photoshoots, so those rooms are currently empty.  But we expect to have that by the weekend and they'll get added.  There's also a number of Guest panels that always take the longest to get confirmed, but those will also be added as we get them.

Guidebook is happening this year and they are working on it.  That will get released as we get closer to con.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there going to be a grid version of the schedule?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Zeeba Neighba said:

Seconded.  Also:  When will you have a map of where all the rooms will be?

When the guidebook app schedule comes out definitely get that. That will have maps of the convention center in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, DeskLaser said:

Will Funimation have their usual round of panels or will they not be around for a while?

I noticed the lack of industry panels on the schedules as well. Maybe it's still too soon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Daniel Perales said:

I noticed the lack of industry panels on the schedules as well. Maybe it's still too soon?

The schedule has been updated.

The only major ones are AnimEigo and Discotek (with Discotek usually being one of the highlight panels at Otakon each year, especially for old school anime fans). However, there is an "Industry Roundup Panel" on Sunday morning (I'm guessing it will include at least Crunchyroll and Right Stuf, as they have panels at other events the same weekend as Otakon).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

as they have panels at other events the same weekend as Otakon).

I feel as if Otakon has really lost its relevancy as an industry con over the past 5 or so years, and I don't mean just because of covid. I remember back in the late 00s when Geneon and Funimation used to set up big photoshoot displays in the Dealer's Room.  Now we usually get a kiosk with DVDs and freebie posters given away at 2pm on Sunday while everyone is on the way out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 5:41 PM, KyoKyo said:

I feel as if Otakon has really lost its relevancy as an industry con over the past 5 or so years, and I don't mean just because of covid. I remember back in the late 00s when Geneon and Funimation used to set up big photoshoot displays in the Dealer's Room.  Now we usually get a kiosk with DVDs and freebie posters given away at 2pm on Sunday while everyone is on the way out.

I feel that a number of factors have contributed to this, including many major anime companies leaving the American market (i.e. Bandai and Geneon), most companies announcing their licenses when the new anime season starts, and how Otakon is more focused on the fans than being industry-focused like Anime Expo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, wolfy2005 said:

Is there going to be a grid version of the schedule?

Asking again, since I got a like, but no answer. I'll be able to make do without, but visually it is a great help to me to see everything laid out and see what is up against what and where.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

I feel that a number of factors have contributed to this, including many major anime companies leaving the American market (i.e. Bandai and Geneon), most companies announcing their licenses when the new anime season starts, and how Otakon is more focused on the fans than being industry-focused like Anime Expo.

I can also add that one time, anime conventions were few and far between from each other. Anime companies were able to attend to most of them without spreading themselves too thin. Now it seems that there is at least 1 anime con going on like every 2 weeks in the USA. Anime companies can't send their reps to every one of them. 

Another thing that changed was the internet. Even though it's still a big deal when an anime company announce their new licenses and acquisitions at a con, it's much easier for them to announce such stuff online.

I miss the time when I was able to interact with some of the industry people directly (in person and in emails), but quite a few of them has already moved on to something else (or passed).   

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wolfy2005 said:

Asking again, since I got a like, but no answer. I'll be able to make do without, but visually it is a great help to me to see everything laid out and see what is up against what and where.

I am a big fan of the grid because it makes planning the whole day easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Clutch said:

I am a big fan of the grid because it makes planning the whole day easier.

Guidebook makes this a lot easier as you can mark things and then see “your schedule.” It will also tell you if you mark things that overlap. However, one thing that still hasn’t changed since the pandemic, it’s a week out and the Guidebook schedule still isn’t up. Sticking with tradition on that one I assume?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Clutch said:

I am a big fan of the grid because it makes planning the whole day easier.

I agree, and since I don't have a mobile device I can print out a grid version of the schedule. Meanwhile, I can't do that with the current format.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know about, have used and like Guidebook, but like I said, my brain finds it much easier to comprehend and visualize the schedule when it's laid out in a grid. I don't even need a paper copy of it since I know it is a fool's errand to keep that up to date. The online grid version like they used to have, and what they had up on the big screens would be fantastic.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, wolfy2005 said:

I know about, have used and like Guidebook, but like I said, my brain finds it much easier to comprehend and visualize the schedule when it's laid out in a grid. I don't even need a paper copy of it since I know it is a fool's errand to keep that up to date. The online grid version like they used to have, and what they had up on the big screens would be fantastic.

I've been told on Facebook that they will have a grid and printed schedules available (I'm guessing a small number to those without mobiles). I'm hoping to soon see some confirmation of that on the website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, The Real BIM Shady said:

A PDF version is available for download on https://www.otakon.com/schedule/  under the schedule search bar.  

take note that the PDF can get out of date very quickly.  The live online and guidebook schedule will have the most current information if items in the schedule change. 

This is good news for those few (like someone I'm coming with) who prefer paper to digital. Personally I love Guidebook because it can be updated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.