Otakon 2022 COVID Policies

When I got my first shot, they recommended keeping a picture of the card on my phone. Been updating the pic w/ the subsequent shots. I've never had a issue when showing that to people. Though while I can understand the precaution of being vaccinated, I'll say this will slow down entry into the WEWCC even more, especially in the first rush when it opens.

I'm curious if they're going to close down the convention center early this year for cleaning. Not that I'm complaining, a midnight close worked for me - I'm no longer a young man, and I need my sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm more curious if these vaccine policies are going to exist for years to come or in perpetuity.  At this point, covid is endemic and will be with us for a long time. With most places having returned to "normal" months ago, I wonder if Otakorp is going to require vaccines for Otakon 2035?  Look at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. They were mandating vaccines and then suddenly did an about face after a few weeks after the decision and no longer require them. 

Anime conventions seem to be the outliers.

Edited by KyoKyo
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 8:08 AM, KyoKyo said:

Well I'm glad they are. We're seeing a surge in cases and hospitalizations right now.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:08 AM, KyoKyo said:

Not necessarily.

From their site (bolding mine):

Currently, verification of vaccination or proof of negative test are not required for admission to the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center or Anime Central...

In our recent vaccine and mask policy change announcement, we stated that face coverings may be required in some areas of Anime Central or at the request of our guests of honor at their events...We strongly recommend wearing masks in all lobbies, hallways, public spaces, and restrooms.

============

An attendee of Colorado Anime Fest said they were given a wristband when at badge pickup when they showed proof of vaccination. If Otakon goes that way, I wonder how that would work for those of us who went with mailed badges. (Conversely, I'd love to be able to pick up the vaccine verification and an 18+ badge on Thursday, so I wouldn't have to stand in line on Friday.)

Edited by Revan
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, Revan said:

Currently, verification of vaccination or proof of negative test are not required for admission to the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center or Anime Central...

At this point I would be surprised if Otakon suddenly dropped their vaccine requirement for 2023. Katsucon has already stated they are mandating vaccines for 2023and that con is 6 months away. I wonder how realistic such mandates are with the vaccines seemingly becoming less and less effective.

Right now a friend of mine and my dad, both vaccinated, are sitting at home with covid and a high fever. 

Vaccine mandates as they currently exist would be of very questionable value by next summer. Someone "fully vaccinated" will likely be 20-22 months out since their last jab by that point.

Either way hopefully Otakon (and moreso other conventions) have learned their lesson from this past year. Figure out the intended plan and announce it early. The wishy-washy "we'll announce plans later" and the changing plans and then backtracking only annoys members. Just tell members what the plan is and what might change it ahead of time as best as possible (hopefully before badges go on sale).

"We don't intend to require masks unless..."

"We intend to require masks unless..."

"We are planning on requiring vaccines unless..."

"We aren't planning on requiring vaccines unless..."

"We are intending to follow government guidance unless..."