Staffing needs going forward

Reiterating what I said at feedback, I appreciated that someone from staff pool was at gofer orientation to recruit potential staffers. As far as I'm aware, out of the orientations I've attended, that was a first and it really should have been done sooner.

It's difficult to join Otakon staff because, if you don't come up as a gofer, it's hard to get the two recommendations unless you know somebody. A comment that came up multiple times was that staff was short-handed. Has Otakorp looked into (or will Otakorp look into) easing that requirement and posting a public-facing application on the website? Anime Boston presents a good model for what this could look like, where the application asks for staffing background or other qualities you bring to the role in question, as well as at least two references.

Staff Pool and Gofers have been working closer together for a few years now (and yes, have been to several orientations as well!).  One of the changes I made during my Presidential years was to move Gofers from our "Member Services" division over to our "Staff Services" side, to try and keep Gofers more visible on the staff side.

The heads of the two dept's will also sit down during the con over the last few years and go over the Gofer list.  Staff Pool may even pick out some Gofers and watch them at work so they can make more and better recommendations.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, .taro. said:

Staff Pool and Gofers have been working closer together for a few years now (and yes, have been to several orientations as well!).  One of the changes I made during my Presidential years was to move Gofers from our "Member Services" division over to our "Staff Services" side, to try and keep Gofers more visible on the staff side.

The heads of the two dept's will also sit down during the con over the last few years and go over the Gofer list.  Staff Pool may even pick out some Gofers and watch them at work so they can make more and better recommendations.

I don't think I've seen staff pool represented at any orientation that I'd been to prior, that's why I mentioned it as something I appreciated. But it's good to learn there's more coordination than I was aware of.