Once again, the BBS is s - l - o - w to load

Question

17 answers to this question

To be honest there isn't much we can do when it's slow other than reboot the virtual server it sits on in AWS-land and hope that it starts behaving again. 

There is a software update coming out soon, so perhaps that will help?

10 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

To be honest there isn't much we can do when it's slow other than reboot the virtual server it sits on in AWS-land and hope that it starts behaving again. 

There is a software update coming out soon, so perhaps that will help?

I have been dealing with a similar situation at work where a customer self hosts our application on their virtual servers. They built new virtual servers with Widows/SQL Server 2019. They started complaining about performance issues after running a massive Monthly job which generated hundreds of thousands of transactions. They were not monitoring their system, so our team was pulled in 2 days after to figure out what is happening. On the very first day of my involvement I asked them to check the virtual system (asked at least 3 times throughout the day). The 2nd day of the outage call I asked again. The 3rd day they brought in a member from one of our other teams who checked their piece and said "oh, this new server you built has half the CPU resources as the old one". Customer waffles for a while before getting their VM team to add more CPU allocation to the servers. As soon as they add it, low and behold, our application starts performing better. It only took a simple clubbing over the head to get them to check it.

In your case, the VM server hosting the web site is probably overcommitted and starving this web site for resources. When you run on shared VMs, you are at the mercy of every other VM running on the server. Some other site can be filling up all the drive space, hogging all the memory or CPU. I would put in a ticket and complain about slow performance and ask them to review the VM infrastructure for issues.

05/26/2024 17:21 1 minute 37 seconds to load this page.

What is sad is that in just over 8 weeks, it will be peak time for this board and nobody will be able to use it.  😟

Almost forgot that it was unusable during the convention last year. Spinning circles the entire weekend. Don't have high hopes that anyone will care enough to fix it.

Edited by Clutch
On 5/26/2024 at 5:24 PM, Clutch said:

05/26/2024 17:21 1 minute 37 seconds to load this page.

What is sad is that in just over 8 weeks, it will be peak time for this board and nobody will be able to use it.  😟

Almost forgot that it was unusable during the convention last year. Spinning circles the entire weekend. Don't have high hopes that anyone will care enough to fix it.

I'm almost think that it's the beginning of the end of this board. Some of the other boards that I was in from other conventions started the same way until they eventually discontinued it. :(

Well to be honest, as you have guessed the BBS is on its way out. 
We've done what we can, but engagement on both the attendee side and the staff side (in terms of volunteers to manage it) has declined a lot. 
I'm not sure exactly when it will be retired, but the day is coming soon.  When it is known something official will get posted.

In the meantime transitioning over to the Otakon Discord is an option (https://discord.com/invite/otakon)

On 6/13/2024 at 1:05 AM, MattTheMinion said:

In the meantime transitioning over to the Otakon Discord is an option (https://discord.com/invite/otakon)

Not surprised to hear about the demise of the boards, but apparently joining Discord isn't an option for me. My timeline is as follows. based on my (now Trashed) email titles:

6/14/24 0803PM - Verify email address for Discord

6/14/24 0803PM - Welcome to Discord!

6/14/24 0803PM - Discord account disabled for suspicious activity

6/14/24 0807PM - Password reset request for Discord

6/14/24 0808PM - Discord password changed

6/14/24 0810PM - Account disabled - Violation of TOS

Somehow, without even looking at a single thing on there beyond the opening screen, I violated their terms of service. Is creating an account now a 'suspicious activity'?!?! I'm curious to know what happened, though TBH I'm not going to lose sleep over it. (It reminds me of how my brother got promoted, fired, re-hired, and then suspended all in a matter of 2 hours at work.) At least now I'll have a funny story to tell my friends when we meet online next week on a service that I've been on for years without any hint of 'suspicious activity' or 'violating the TOS'. Farewell, Discord, I didn't even get to know you.

So beyond the news announcements on the main site I'll have to wallow in ignorance of all things Otakon.

No thanks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord#Criticisms_and_controversies

Since you are killing a vital source of information for us, I request that all major announcements be posted on the front page of the Otakon site in their own banner 2 weeks in advance of any date. e.g. Hotel block, registration opening, contest deadlines, etc. I don't want to go to some skanky social media site to find information. Will at least visit the Otakon home page to look for changes. Is RSS still a thing?

Edited by Clutch

We've done what we can, but engagement on both the attendee side and the staff side (in terms of volunteers to manage it) has declined a lot. 
I'm not sure exactly when it will be retired, but the day is coming soon.  When it is known something official will get posted.

@MattTheMinion - Can you set up a RSS feed or bring back the mailing list for announcements?

To be honest, I'm already on Discord somewhat (basically for the AnimeNEXT staff, (which leaves a lot to be desired). I prefer what we have here now. I know other cons has already ditched their forums, but I would think that Otakon would at least keep theirs. It's like one of the only "old-school" things that at least we still have.

Edited by Daniel Perales