Buying Food at WEWCC -- Use Cards?

A few weeks ago at the WEWCC, all the food places I went to, did not accept cash for buying food.  They only accepted cards.

I don't know if it'll be the same at Otakon, but it seemed like a WEWCC policy.  I'm not staff, so I don't know for sure.

Luckily, I had already purchased a gift card at a store, so I used that.

There was a machine that changed cash into cards near Ben's Chili Bowl, at the food place, near Otakon's video gaming room.  There's probably other machines around the WEWCC, but I don't know where they are.

Just thought I'd post this, for your planning and budgets. 🙂

I have noticed a lot of places are aggressively doing things to not accept cash. The local Lowes has 2 self check-out booths that are listed as "cash or card", but they are never turned on. The local Whole Foods used to take case in self-checkout, but stopped that as well. They want you to wait in the long lines with full carts when you only have 1 item, because you want to use cash.

I was saying to @Revan that I'm getting a pre-paid card to take down there, because I expect it will be very difficult to pay in cash in a lot of places. One coffee shop near the convention center told me they were not accepting cash (happened a few years ago). When you see that cash empty out of the wallet, you think twice about purchases. Tap-and-go with a card and it is easy to rack up a quick debt.

Edited by Clutch
  • Thanks 1

Excellent points!

There are two places where I live that don't accept cash.  There's a salad restaurant and a juice shop that don't take cash anymore.  At first I thought that was illegal, because right on U.S. bills it says "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."

I called up the county's "Office of Consumer Affairs" (who help people who have trouble dealing with businesses) and a supervisor there said it is legal, and the owners of the stores can decide which forms of payments they'll accept.  He said he likes to use cash too and didn't think it was a good idea to not accept cash because they'd probably lose a lot of customers.

Oh well.  At least there are pre-paid cards we can buy at stores. 🙂