Old AMV Contest Entries

At the past two conventions, old AMV contest entries have been shown on Sunday. Would it be possible for these old AMVs to be put on any other platform? I don't know what kind of interest there is, but I think it would be rad. It would be cool to have these older entries preserved somehow. And to be able to watch them again. I get that the plan is probably to save the AMV contests from 1996 and beyond for upcoming cons, but I think it would be really cool to have the entries from 1994 and 1995 put on youtube or archive.org or something. There might be reasons I'm missing this can't be done, because I'm not really familiar with the normal process for the AMV contests, but the older contests seem like a unique situation. I imagine a lot of modern creators back their work up on youtube or something. I think it's amazing these older videos were found and are being shown, and I think it would be cool to eventually make them more widely available. I'm not really sure where to ask this question, so I'm just throwing it out there.

You can check https://www.animemusicvideos.org for some of them. You will probably have to use their super search to narrow down the results. In the early days, the same song would be used for a bunch of videos for different anime.

Times have changed, and the contents which were viewed one way at the time may now be considered offensive when judged by today's standards. They are a product of their time. Same with fan parody videos.

Not an expert here by any means, but I think permission from the original creators might be a hurdle. I imagine they have the right to show the amv at Otakon for as long as they like, but actually uploading it somewhere outside of the convention could pose trouble for them, maybe? And if they can't contact the original creator to get their OK (since any contact info used in the 90s could very well be completely defunct now), they might not want to risk any issues. 

That being said, the above comment about AMV.org is the right way to go. That website has been around a long time, and could very well have a ton of them. Some of them might be hosted on outside websites though, like AMV Hell for example (which I was surprised to find out was submitted to the AMV contest back when it was made! Very cool).