A public shrine for Akira Toriyama (suggestion/idea)

As you guys know, Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball, as well as the artist for a plethera of other things, such as being an artist for the dragon quest series, has recently passed away.

And with this passing I had the idea that maybe we can make a mini shrine for him.

Here's how the idea goes:

- In a visible, yet spacious corner, we have a blank poster saying "Thank you Akira Toriyama, Fly High" with a picture of goku. Hopefully either i or other staff can get more papers so others can draw on the thing. But I want don't want to try to stain the walls though.

- In the shrine, you basically leave whatever that you think Akira loves (adult magazines, nori senbei crackers, cola, or whatever), or any of his works, such as a dragon ball manga. If you're wondering what I'm referring to by "what akira loves", here's this picture Image

- once the con officially ends (or is on the brink of ending), people are allowed to basically pick up whatever stuff they want from the thing. Regardless of if they owned or bought the thing or not.

- The shrine should be used as a place of paying respects and selflessness, so if you're going to drop something off, such as a manga or expensive figurine, don't expect it to return back to you. Use your money wisely (or don't, I'm not the boss of you). Any remaining items should be preferably donated to charity or an orphanage. 

And that's my idea.

I think it's a fine idea, but back in (...checks old forum posts...) 2019 they had a set of large sheets on the plateau in front of video games area where people were encouraged to write positive messages for... something. (My post said it was Kyo Ani?, though I don't recall what it was about.) Back to my point: despite the good intentions, there were the inevitable jackass messages written on there, along with pictures that reflect this juvenile mindset. (I swear the odds of that happening reach 100% the more people are involved, no matter what the circumstances.)

One of the spots in that area would be a good location for it, if it were to come to pass.

17 hours ago, Revan said:

I think it's a fine idea, but back in (...checks old forum posts...) 2019 they had a set of large sheets on the plateau in front of video games area where people were encouraged to write positive messages for... something. (My post said it was Kyo Ani?, though I don't recall what it was about.) Back to my point: despite the good intentions, there were the inevitable jackass messages written on there, along with pictures that reflect this juvenile mindset. (I swear the odds of that happening reach 100% the more people are involved, no matter what the circumstances.)

Trolls will always be around no matter the fandom.

17 hours ago, Revan said:

One of the spots in that area would be a good location for it, if it were to come to pass.

I would kind of like it to happen, too. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 8:57 PM, Clutch said:

I would think you get into liability issues if you start putting down cigarettes or adult magazines in a place where kids could get to them. The other stuff seems safe.

ohhh yea I can see that. Maybe we'll have to scratch out the adult magazines and cigarettes for that. Maybe the crackers and car models are good enough lolololol. 

On 3/12/2024 at 3:13 PM, Revan said:

I can understand that. At best that's enevitable, although the question is what to do afterwards though.........

• 1 month later...

At Animazement they set up a corner in the art show exhibit area for this, not just for Toriyama but others friends of the con that passed away recently. For the famous Japanese guests some had a tribute poster board thing to showcase their works and other texts people wrote about them.

I think Otakon can do the same, but that takes some prior work by someone. An open tribute would be much harder to do though.