well Hall cosplay went well and in a timely manor. but ... It ws in the worst most possible place/ time ... would someone tell me why it was moved from the perfect place it was last year???

Since it was in the same area the rave was held it was a horrid place since, that was the same place the other music shows were.theye were going on at the same time. Making it more than hard to hear anything that was being said by the people charge outside the doors much less anyone else or even yourself think. it was very stressful and confusing.

other than that it was good and the same as the other 2 years minos I could have sworn they took pictures last year ...

[edit] or if some mod feels it's better suited for 'Otakon Masquerade and Cosplay Contests ' forum please move it there, since I forgot it was there XP

We all echo the same sentiments towards being across from the dance actually. We had a pretty hard time trying to talk to participants when the music was up and blaring. And really, especially on Friday, there wasn't a huge window of quiet time we could've placed the contests in without forcing us to rush.

VIP West was utilized as the center of the costume contest in the years past, but there have been situations like this year and 2003 where we've had to move the room down to the 300 level to accomodate other departments who need the room just a little more than we do. It's a very popular room.

We very much like VIP west because of the expansive hallway we get to use and it's proximity to main events. We experimented with using just the hallway during craftsmanship judging, and that actually turned out to work pretty well, aside from the noise, so we might look into the feasibility of it as another option.

I can understand why that room is in such high demand it is rather seculded and quiet.

I was one of the two people whowere outside the room waiting since 230pm on friday XD at first the music was welcome since we were going to be there for a while until the second band came on and they were super loud. I mean participating in the hall cosplay contest is a highlight of my weekend and I work all year just to enter it so it was a bit frustrating thats all...

I liked that it was right next to the musical acts. I would've completely missed PINE*am and the Indigo if it wasn't. So I was very happy with the location. Had something to keep my mind occupied while waiting ages on line for prereg check-in and ages in the room waiting to be judged.

• 5 months later...

I liked it next to the music as well. I was in line for quite some time before getting inside to get a time slot and since all my friends were off doing who knows what, it kept me entertained. plus it was one of the only ota-events i saw because i spent 90% of my time at my art table :) maybe if you used a room further from the stage it wouldn't be so loud, yet us in line could still enjoy it.

tho, i'm pretty sure pictures were taken last year (straight down the line) and the year before, but i'm not sure if that was official otakon picture taking or not. if it was, i'd like to see how that turned out...

EDIT: Suggestion! it may be difficult and a lot of work, but maybe after con is over, on the sheets that the judges make notes on for each contestant, there can be a box that says how they can improve and the sheets can be sent to teh cosplayer or something. I know i'm always looking for feedback on any endevor i pursue and outside influences would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Suggestion! it may be difficult and a lot of work, but maybe after con is over, on the sheets that the judges make notes on for each contestant, there can be a box that says how they can improve and the sheets can be sent to teh cosplayer or something. I know i'm always looking for feedback on any endevor i pursue and outside influences would be awesome.

The major difficulty with such a procedure is the shear volume of suggestions each judge would need to write, and the subsequent handling of entering and distributing the said suggestions. Just adding an additional 30 seconds of time between entries increases an already long judging session by 30 minutes.

Also, some of the more senior of participants from the higher division simply don't want to hear things of that nature.

I've spoken with one of the judges involved from last year, and he is very interested in the idea. However, we would have to limit the feedback to (a) people who request it (most likely indicated on their registration form) and (^_^ very brief discussion at the end of a particular entry's judging session.

A different person will be in charge of the Hall Costume Contest events this year, but I will make sure that all suggestions are passed along.

• 2 weeks later...

Well for people who prereg for the contest there could be a check box to indicate if they want feedback or not. for those who don't pre-reg they miss out ? >_< that sounds mean ._. but it will cut down on how many people ask.

but it'll still be a pain to type them up and send the afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Rules for the Costume Contest (I never figured out why it was called "Hall Costume Contest") will be up when they are ready. Please keep an eye on our website www.otakon.com for updates. Instead of hitting refresh every 5 minutes, you can use our rss feed! :)

Pre-reg for the Costume Contest will open after the rules are posted.

Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

Just a thought on the idea of feedback for the contest-goers.

I like the idea of being able to get some feedback on your costume if you mark a box on a form, and while I waited last year, I heard them make a few suggestions to some of the other people waiting in line. I don't know if they'll do the same thing this year, but it was great to hear their input as they asked questions about the costume itself.

My thought is this: I don't know how difficult it would be to set up, but I know there have been "how-to" panels for different cosplay elements (fiberglass, wigs, etc). Would it be possible to set up a panel where costumers and/or the judges can go to chat about costume making and share tips? Maybe something where you can wander in and out, like the Otacafe. Just a place where you can talk to others and hear what they have to say about your costume, or just give tips on costume creation in general.

Or, if that would be too difficult (I know that space at the con is limited), maybe after the con, there could be a board or another online place where people can upload various hints and comments on costumes, sort of like an online post-con panel. I know I would have loved suggestions on my costume last year, and I've discovered some great techniques over the years I'd love to share with other people, if I knew they were interested.

Anyway, don't know if either idea is feasible, but just thought I'd post them to see what others think. Maybe there's a site out there like that already, and you all know about it? (If there is, maybe you can put it on the registration form for the contests, or have the link available for costumers in some other way) Anyway, good luck to all who are going to enter!

'The Cosplay Critic Cafe' ? XD you know that would be a pretty good idea I think. I've seen talk around from people who have never been in a Hall cosplay contest and since they don't know what goes on they are afraid to enter, or all they want are peoples reaction to their outfits not really to be judged. To find out wha things need to be fixed or what have you, for another time. I think it would also be good for people who couldn't get into the HCC .

It would be cool if it was all day but It might be slow >_< to allow more time for people to really look and say soemthing worth wild. durring HCC you aren't up there for long enough to get a lot of advice (if thats what they were doing). hey there could be a rotating set of judges.

Wow that sounds like fun~ aren't there atleast 3 panels on Cosplay creation? it's just, that aren't panels relitively short??

I've seen talk around from people who have never been in a Hall cosplay contest and since they don't know what goes on they are afraid to enter, or all they want are peoples reaction to their outfits not really to be judged. To find out wha things need to be fixed or what have you, for another time. I think it would also be good for people who couldn't get into the HCC .

Providing that space is still there I know that they reorganized the layout of AA for this year too. I'd think morning to like 7 or 8 pm at the latest thats when most people are wearing their outfits.

and something I have been thinking about lately is if you need cosplay experiance to be a 'judge/critic' I mean I think that it helps but in this case it's needed. you need to know how to sew atleast or else you won't beable to give tips to people. and winers of other CC don't really matter either though it would make a whole new faset of the 'cafe' to hav es someone who can tell you how to act while speeking with judges.

this isn't think kind of thing where judges/critics sit behind tables either, we'd have to get up and examin people . you know what i saw someone ask a question about taking pictures with his camera with one those those special flashes. this woul dbe a good place fore people who want to take lots of cosplay pictures withough having to go all over the place.

" Otakon's Cosplay Cafe a place to get tips and tricks for your outfit and a plase so see and be seen. Drop by today!" If you can't tell I've been thinking about this all night XD I'd love to help make it happen

Well, yes, experience would probably be a must- at least for those giving the tips. I'd think they'd be the only ones willing to give out tips anyway- newbies probably wouldn't want to step on any toes.

I think it'd be a lot of fun to do something like that- question is, how does one go about organizing it? Do we ask particular people to sit in and stay in the room for certain shifts, or does any and everyone get to sit and give advice if they think they have enough experience? I'd be willing to sit in for some time, but there are so many cool things to see and do at Otakon, I wouldn't want to be stuck sitting in a place where there was no garuntee that anyone will come, you know?

Hmm, if only they could put a survey in the programs, or a link to a survey online where they could see if people would actually attend.... It'd be a lot of fun, but there's always the fear that no one would come, or, as might be the case if we did it this year, everyone would want to run off to see the musical guest(s) or some show or something. I'd want to know the interest is there before I commit myself, you know? (Also would want to know that I'd have time to run and get Nobuteru Yuuki's autograph, and spend all of my money in the dealer's room! XD)

But I do think it's something that everyone could benefit from. Maybe a good way to feel it out is make a flyer or something to put in the Hall Contest room? So, while people are filling out their applications, they could check off if they'd be interested or something? Just a thought.

My mother brought up a good point, people don't really want to be nit-picked so to make things simple I'd like to see it be a room where Cosplayers can gather to talk shop and there just happens to be a roatationg group of vet. Cosplayers for people or even none at all. You could just wander in and ask some random person to rate you and give tips. I just hope that people who really don't know anything have sence enough to say so. I say all that because most people that I see at the Con have very good outfits overall. and this way it's not like someone has to be there to Run anything

it's nice to get feed back.

i have a bit of a concern for this year's contest. I just applied for the saturday Hall contest, but i am not technically registered yet (i'm being registered as a panel host). I was just wondering if that will affect my ability to get a slot vs. someone that may already be registered.

sorry if that doesn't make any sense, i just unburied from 4 layers of working on said costume...

• 2 weeks later...

~_~ This gets really old too... I can understand e-mail problems but they should have them fixed by now. I know it's hard work and it's a thankless job, but with a week to go before the con it would be nice if we got SOME kind of information from SOMEONE as to what the heck is going on. Everyone I know who have sent e-mails and various other methods trying to contact staff for questioning hasn't gotten anything back for a while, which is just upsetting. Kinda makes one feel like it doesn't matter. Maybe they're waiting until today when it's all over? Bah... this whole thing is confusing, muddled, and poorly organized it seems. It just gets worse each year.

there is still time. all we can do is wait and be thankful that the service is still running. so take a break and remain calm >_< there is still alot of time to get emails out .

~_~ This gets really old too... I can understand e-mail problems but they should have them fixed by now. I know it's hard work and it's a thankless job, but with a week to go before the con it would be nice if we got SOME kind of information from SOMEONE as to what the heck is going on. Everyone I know who have sent e-mails and various other methods trying to contact staff for questioning hasn't gotten anything back for a while, which is just upsetting. Kinda makes one feel like it doesn't matter. Maybe they're waiting until today when it's all over? Bah... this whole thing is confusing, muddled, and poorly organized it seems. It just gets worse each year.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is a pretty simple explanation. Several in fact.

First, check your mail filters thoroughly. There have been *dozens* of people who've contacted us because they didn't get a response, and we've later found out that their spam filters got the email we sent.

Second, we're busy. And there are more questions now than usual. And yes, some people haven't been as diligent about answering email - but because you didn't get a response from ONE department, please don't think that the other 70 or so people who have to deal with questions and posts on the BBS have been slacking off.

Sometimes there is only one person who knows the answer. Sometimes that person is busy on something more important, or is simply out of touch for a day or two.

Remember, "absolutely critical" stuff will always trump "nice to know" stuff. I ignored about 20 messages last night that were simply not as important as getting contracts finalized, or confirming deliveries, or scheduling walkthroughs.

Most of our staff has been busy all week, answering a ton of email. I have had nearly 250 pieces of legitimate email since yesterday morning. Mind you, our email server went down last week and we had spotty access from Thursday through Monday. Just yesterday I got a very late (and very important) email that had been sent a week ago.

BTW, our mail server trouble was announced on our website (in fact it's why we extended the pre-reg until Monday) and on the RSS feed (the mail server also handles the mailing lists, so we couldn't do it there). We've been playing catchup from that mess all damned week, so if you're annoyed at the delay in email for a contest entry confirmation, imagine how annoyed *I* am that i've been playing email tag all week with the security company only to find out they sent the info days ago.

I've addressed the responsiveness issue to several people in the last few days, and you'll notice our webmaster's been posting like a madman as the information was finally provided to him.

i expect delays, as i understand everyone's really busy with what they're doing (i know i'm really busy preparing for my friday panel), i was just more concerned with slots still being open for when i applied. i half expect them not to be, so i'm still preparing to camp out for a standby slot ^_^

I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is a pretty simple explanation. Several in fact.

First, check your mail filters thoroughly. There have been *dozens* of people who've contacted us because they didn't get a response, and we've later found out that their spam filters got the email we sent.

Second, we're busy. And there are more questions now than usual. And yes, some people haven't been as diligent about answering email - but because you didn't get a response from ONE department, please don't think that the other 70 or so people who have to deal with questions and posts on the BBS have been slacking off.

Sometimes there is only one person who knows the answer. Sometimes that person is busy on something more important, or is simply out of touch for a day or two.

Remember, "absolutely critical" stuff will always trump "nice to know" stuff. I ignored about 20 messages last night that were simply not as important as getting contracts finalized, or confirming deliveries, or scheduling walkthroughs.

Most of our staff has been busy all week, answering a ton of email. I have had nearly 250 pieces of legitimate email since yesterday morning. Mind you, our email server went down last week and we had spotty access from Thursday through Monday. Just yesterday I got a very late (and very important) email that had been sent a week ago.

BTW, our mail server trouble was announced on our website (in fact it's why we extended the pre-reg until Monday) and on the RSS feed (the mail server also handles the mailing lists, so we couldn't do it there). We've been playing catchup from that mess all damned week, so if you're annoyed at the delay in email for a contest entry confirmation, imagine how annoyed *I* am that i've been playing email tag all week with the security company only to find out they sent the info days ago.

I've addressed the responsiveness issue to several people in the last few days, and you'll notice our webmaster's been posting like a madman as the information was finally provided to him.

so now theres a new question from me ( I didn't want to start another thread >_< )

where is sign in??

in the short version of the rules it says

"Registration for each contest will be held outside the Masquerade Suite (Room 346) on the 300 level."
where is sign in??

in the short version of the rules it says

"Registration for each contest will be held outside the Masquerade Suite (Room 346) on the 300 level."

in the full version it says

"Registration for each contest will be held outside the Costume Contest Suite (VIP West) on the 400 level"

thats the logic part but it doesn't always work like that.

in 2004 the friday Hall cosplay contest was conducted in "Masquerade Suite (VIP west)." i'm taking that direct of my tag from that year and thats why I'm asking where it's suposed to be since just reading and judging from that will not be reliable when rules say 2 difrent things.

So with pre-reg for the hall costume contests closed, should everyone have heard back by now about whether they made it or not? Because I still haven't heard a thing and I'm starting to stress, which I really don't want to do. But I'm leaving tomorrow night and I'd like to have all my info in order as soon as possible for sure.

I know that I accidently pre-regged for both costume contests by accident, without realizing you couldn't do that (rules are a little muddled and unclear about that). So I was wondering if that meant I was dropped? If so I wish someone would have told me so I could've gotten the mistake changed. This is gonna probably sound brattish of me, but I can't really believe I wouldn't have at least made it in one since I signed up right after the contest pre-reg opened. So yea... help me someone ;_;

So with pre-reg for the hall costume contests closed, should everyone have heard back by now about whether they made it or not? Because I still haven't heard a thing and I'm starting to stress, which I really don't want to do. But I'm leaving tomorrow night and I'd like to have all my info in order as soon as possible for sure.

Same here. I pre-regged for Saturday like 2 days after it opened and havent heard anything. A friend of mine who pre-regged for saturday a few days after I did has heard back.

I heard there was a server/form glitch that missed some forms, and its rumored that might be one of the problems. I'm stressing too though. Whether I should bother going on saturday morning or just go for the friday one. Blah.

Good luck to all of us who are stressing about not receiving confirmation.

We're in (mostly) the same boat. I pre-regged for Friday the very day things opened and I've yet to hear anything. As I'm also leaving for Ota tomorrow (Wednesday) it'd be nice to get info today to know if I'm even regged. I know several others are still waiting to hear. I've been checkng my filters to see if anything was blocked, but all my spam mail has been Viagra ads.

We're in (mostly) the same boat. I pre-regged for Friday the very day things opened and I've yet to hear anything. As I'm also leaving for Ota tomorrow (Wednesday) it'd be nice to get info today to know if I'm even regged. I know several others are still waiting to hear. I've been checkng my filters to see if anything was blocked, but all my spam mail has been Viagra ads.

Yea I've got the same problem too. I signed up for the Saturday the day it opened and still haven't heard anything back. I'm wigging too, as I'm also leaving tomorrow *Wednesday*

I've heard from some reliable sources that some forms were lost, mainly the first few. Now I can't guarantee this but I trust my friends who told me, as they e-mailed about the situation. This was supposedly tied to a glitch that happened AFTER the first one they had earlier, which if this is true, the fact that it went unannounced that forms may have been lost REALLY is the last straw for me. This would make it the third time I haven't gotten to compete this year at a con because things keep getting lost. I can understand it happening once in a while but three times in a row in one year is really starting to get to me. Even if it is a computer glitch, common courtesy suggests that you TELL people or allow those that may have lost their forms re-submit or get spots guaranteed.

*takes a calming breath* I know there's no use getting worked up about it, but I was really wanting to compete this year. I e-mailed someone about it can't tell you who since there's no specific link, I just know it was the option for programming. They need one specifically for masq and hall contest, but whatever. I'm hoping that this will be explained ASAP since I am leaving tomorrow, if not, someone is going to get an earful at the con and at this point I've lost all my patience and understanding.

It's bad enough that my hopes were dashed last year when my number was mixed up on who won at last year's contest, but this is just not helping my nerves. I just want to cry I was looking forward to this so much >_< I was all proud of myself for registering early like last year... and it still didn't do me any good apparently.

don't you get an email if you don't get in?

if I don't make it I'm not going to try to get in again... though it'll be odd cause I've entered the contest for 3 years straight O_.

You should get an e-mail regardless as in my experience. Which I haven't gotten ANYTHING. Of course, at this point I'm screwed since most of the staff is probably already getting ready to go set stuff up. Someone's going to get an earful at the convention... I swear. I don't care if this was a non-human error, it's a human error when you don't make any mention of stuff being lost and don't reimburse those who signed up right at the beginning.

i've always gotten in >_< but after tomorow I can't check me email so ...

but it depends on the error if they can't see who was lost then they can't email them to make up fot it.

I'm totally bummed about it I sent in my entry form the first day. It was going to be my first cosplay contest. but alas I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to go for an open spot at the con.

I guess there's always next year, but a memo on the glitch causing lost entries would've been nice if that is what happened?

I'm totally bummed about it I sent in my entry form the first day. It was going to be my first cosplay contest. but alas I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to go for an open spot at the con.

I guess there's always next year, but a memo on the glitch causing lost entries would've been nice if that is what happened?

My feelings exactly, hope to see you there in costume though! I made 'em gosh darn it, I wearing 'em!

I haven't recieve any conformation either. I'm hoping someone will have an answer when I arrive at the con, as I can't check my email any time after tomorrow afternoon.

I'm working hard on my costume too. I even dyed my hair for it. I'm going to be less than thrilled if there's been an issue with pre-registration forms.

Still no email, and I leave tonight. I guess I'll just go up for sign-in and hope to find out I was actually preregged. It sucks to think I may wear this elaborate and hot outfit for more time than necessary, but it seems like this is the only option left at this point.

._. this is confusing T___T

I guess if we don't get e-mails between now and when we leave for the Con ( and i leave tomorow morning) the only thing we can do is show up and ask the people in charge if we are on the list.

man this'll mess everything up for me 'cause I didn't want to have to wear my outfit while I gofered :D

[edit] aug 3 1236 am -

well I didn't get an email so I guess i'm on the worse-case senario. perhaps at orientation someone will know. otherwise i'll ask there at 330 friday ._.

I registered the first day that pre-reg was up and I NEVER got an e-mail. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. I'll have to assume it was just lost, which honestly is very annoying... : / I e-mailed programming via the contact page about it, maybe getting on a standby list or something but I doubt I'll get anything back on time.... GUess I'll be hanging out around 3:30 EHHHHH?! :);;;;;;