Since the masq is moving to the arena this year, there are allot of details and contracts that must be signed before we decide on a stage size.

And the Stage size is something that i do not even know, and well I'll probably be one of the first to know.

So don't worry, once the specifics about this years Masq are figured out ( line up and rehersal times being the primary questions in the air), we will release all of that information.

But we have to get the legal mumbojumbo out of the way first.

A couple of clarifications to everyone:

The maximum group size for 2005 was 12 people.

Performing "cast" members apply to this count. Parents, significant other, friends who carry your stuff, etc. that accompany your group backstage, while consider part of your group for tracking purposes, do not apply to the count.

Stage hands, as long as they are not performing and are only involved with taking stuff on and offstage before and after the skit, typically don't apply to the count. However, Masquerade staff can say "enough" if the stage gets too crowded, or it poses too much of a safety risk.

Now with all that said, remember that we are in a different venue for 2006.

Since this is considered a "bigger and badder" Masquerade, we want to do something along the same lines and up the ante a bit. I can't say what exactly that will be right now, but upping the maximum size by a couple people is one of the things under consideration.

As soon as the rules are ready and posted, you will be the first ones to know. It shouldn't be much longer, as I know most of you are itching to start getting your skits ready.

• 1 month later...
Since the masq is moving to the arena this year, there are allot of details and contracts that must be signed before we decide on a stage size.

And the Stage size is something that i do not even know, and well I'll probably be one of the first to know.

So don't worry, once the specifics about this years Masq are figured out ( line up and rehersal times being the primary questions in the air), we will release all of that information.

But we have to get the legal mumbojumbo out of the way first.

You won't find the stage info on their website, as we're the ones sanctioning the event, not them. Also realize that one size does not fit all when it comes to venues like this.

This is highly subject to change, so, you've been warned:

Stage Depth is 40 feet

Stage width at the front of the stage is 56 feet

Stage width at the back of the stage is 40 feet

The sides of the stage angle back, making the width narrower in the back.

Someone pointed me to some complaints about how strict our rules were.

Keep in mind that special lighting, equipment, sound, and stage requests are very limited for a couple of reasons.

First, there's a concept of a level playing field. Everyone has the same restrictions, so people can't claim that a flashier a/v presentation was the determining factor -- and that means they also can't complain that the lights weren't right or the sound cues weren't correct. Lighting and other tech require practice time that you really don't have, and introduce complications that can seriously slow down the show.

Second, there's cost. We face union labor in any of the venues open to us, and there are no "cheap" options -- we have to pay it, and we'd have to pay it during rehearsal and during performance. Paying union stagehand and lighting/sound tech rates (beyond the basic requirements) would add significant expense.

Remember that a good performance and a good costume ought to be what you're judged on -- not your facility with music or your fancy light/sound/smoke show. Concentrate on the stuff that matters, and be comforted in the fact that everyone else has the same restrictions.

The rules this year do not represent a huge departure from those we had last year, though a few specifics have changed based on what Ed found worked well last year. This way your skits aren't dependent on stuff outside your control -- you can provide a track and time your performance to it. And this way we can ensure that, like last year, things run smoothly and on schedule. (And we MUST be out of the Arena on schedule, or we start paying union overtime.)

Thanks for that, Jim. I am aware of some of the concerns brought foward over the rules, and they haven't fallen on deaf ears.

Please realize that we're essentially in a fast-paced production environment. We're being asked to execute 50 skits with no errors, but with little rehearsal, with people who don't do this for a living with equipment that we don't get to work with until the day of the event.

Sure, there exist conventions that will offer more in the way of lighting and effects than us. But realize that it often comes with the cost of some skit falling victim to some error in execution. And months of work and preparation for that group suddenly get overshadowed by that one glitch.

Having seen the dissapointment on friends' faces when their skit gets marred by a technical error beyond their control compels me to make sure that we provide an environment where these kinds of errors are minimized.

It is more important to us to provide a level playing field where every single skit gets the same opportunity to show off their months of hard work than to provide the flashiest of Masquerades possible where it's a toss up whether or not your skit will experience a technical problem.

Please think of it this way: we're not here to get one skit right. We're here to get 50 skits right. There will be practical limitations when you have that number of skits, and only one day to work with them.