Will you be going to Japan in the future?  

86 members have voted

1. 1.

• Definitely!
    • Probably... depends on if I have the time and/or cash.
    • zOMG!!!111 i wanna be like Narutard and like eat ramen and hit on japanese school girls!!! (ie - I'm so fanboy/girl that they wouldn't let me in)
    • Not in my plans.

So who here is seriously planning on going to japan?

Personally I am, although probably not in the capacity I originally wished to (to teach Engrish for a year). If I get a new job I have an interview for (Nuclear Operator), I won't have time anymore. XD

My sister and I originally planned to go around xmas, but my dad wants to make it a family trip so now it looks like it will be just after new year. Have to start brushing up on my japanese. I also have to plan the itinerary too. My dad's got the lodging pretty much covered.

My parents promised to send me for my college graduation gift. Well, I graduated last year and have yet to go. Mostly because I don't have enough paid vacation time at work yet, and I really don't want to go by myself. So I'll be going, eventually. Just not exactly sure when. Lol.

Guest Ranmah

since you guys are interested in coming. Maybe its good to give you guys some info.

If you want to explore all of japan I suggest the JR Year Round pass.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/transpor...t_railways.html

(This is very important to get. The train tickets will eat all of your money).

If you want to go around tokyo.

I still suggest the JR pass, but if you want to hang around in Tokyo I suggest these two passes:

Suica

http://www.jreast.co.jp/suica/

(inital pass costs Y2000. You can add money up to Y50000)

The good thing about this card is you can use it for trains and buy anything (I mean anything). I would suggest using this in addition with your JR pass.

Tokyo Subway pass:

http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/util/english/subway/1_2.html

This card can be used on most of the subways in Tokyo.

Lonely Planet

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/search_produc...searchfor=Japan

The ultimate Guide for around Japan.

Berlitz

CLICK THE LINK

I hope this info is useful for you guys.

I will post the Akihabara shops in the weekend. :twisted:

maybe if I save up some money Ill be able to afford to go for a bit

I always have trouble adjusting to time though (and a tendency to get sick abroad) so that worries me

I really wanna go cause I can speak Japanese so I think I'd really have a good time too :D

I just got back from Japan last week.

and, I want to return as soon as possable (^_~)

The shopping is really great! (^_^)

-For Jetlag: For your first days:

Don't take naps during the day,

go to bed at a reasonable hour,

Sleep around 8hrs.....,

-Before arriving:

Try to take a nap on the plane there, when it's night in Japan (If you can),

On the plane, walk around if you can, or your legs may hurt later.....

-And always: Drink lots of water (and sports drinks), dehydration is bad.

taking a trip to japan is pretty much the top thing on my list of awesome things i have yet to do. as soon as i'm not broke anymore all i have to do is save some money for the trip (not knowing japanese i guess it'll be a guided tour - lame) gives me time to study and learn though right?

I hope to go to Japan next year for the Science Fiction Worldcon. It depends on the airfares I get for the convention. The room rates seem reasonable. If it is, it will be my first Worldcon and that scares me a little bit because it is not England or Canada for a foreign Worldcon. I am worried that there won't be enough to do that I would like or enough guests that I am interested in.

I'd really like to...but I dont know if it's financially possible for me. I'd also like to learn at least a little of the language first...well at least learn more then "kawaii" and "neko". lol.

My first trip there as a tourist, I had a guide book, a friend, and a Berliz phrasebook. I knew little more than a few politeness words.

I had no trouble at all in Tokyo.

i wonder how essential the friend was. did they do a lot of talking/translating for the two of you ... or did the guidebook phrasebook and polite words get you around?

My friend spoke very little japanese. In fact, he mostly got a friend of his to teach him how to say amusing things about me. This friend is vietnamese, and people assumed he was half-japanese or something. Me, they saw and said "Ah! Giant Gaijin! Please don't step on our buildings!" and were very patient and appreciateive of my attempts to speak their language. Him, they got annoyed with when they realized he spoke even less Japanese than I did. :lol:

So no, he wasn't much help in that regard, though he was fun to hang out with. (And he does speak vietnamese, a bit of thai, and a bit of german - - which puts him several up on me.)

Basically, most of Tokyo is within grabbing distance of SOMEONE who either speaks/understands enough English to sell you something, or who is eager to try out their high school english on you. :)

And because I knew enough about the customs to avoid offense, and was in fact polite and friendly, I was treated well.

And that was in 2002 -- when i was travelling just as a tourist, and doing touristy things. It's weird, but plenty navigable and people are generally very patient with you.

When I went the last couple of times, I had a translator and honestly, it's a huge help for meaniingful conversations and essential for any complex business discussions. But I wasn't there as a tourist those times, but rather on con-related business.

i went about ten years ago. it was a stop over for two days in tokyo on the way to beijing. i stayed with my cousin and his family (he, a white jewish guy, moved there about ten years earlier to work as an economist and married a japanese woman, thus becoming my idol) he was our tour guide around tokyo, i was only 12 at the time so i didnt appreciate japan as much as i do now, but it was definately part of making me the otakou i am today.

i spent most of my time plahying arcade games that had not made it to the US yet. if thats your thing i suggest you bring alot of extra money for it, each game cost about 3 times what it would cost to play in the US. i spent $1 where i would have spent a quarter or fifty cents in the US.

i also found that dozens of people get a kick oput of running up to you, shaking your hand and saying "hello, my name is XX, how are you" and than runnign away.

There was a VERY interesting article in today's Washington Post Travel section on visiting Tokyo on the cheap. The writer spent a week there and total costs were less than $1000 including air fare. I'm definitely filing it away for future use. I hope to go within the next 2-3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just got back from Tokyo a month ago, and I have to say it's not as intimidating as you'd think. I only know a very few phrases and some basic customs, so you don't have to be an expert by any means to survive in Tokyo. Everyone is extremely polite, and as long as you have a guide book with phrases you'll be fine. The only problem I had was getting my subway card creased and having to call the operators over to give me a new one. I was also amazed at how cheap things were, considering how much you usually hear about Japan being expensive.

For anyone going, be sure to hit Akihibara. It makes even the Otakon dealer room look pathetic by comparison. ^_^

Guest Ranmah

I staff at Comiket. Make sure you bring lots of water and confortable walking shoes.

Last year Comiket had about 500,000 people come to the "big site" (Tokyo Convention Center).

8) I wouldn't mind going over for like a week or 2, though I know limited Japanese from subtitles & fanfiction, I believe it would be an interesting learning experience. Wish I had the money to go over in the next year, one of my best friends is a teachers aide teaching english to middle school students over in Morioka through the Earlham program. He speaks Japanese & knows kanji fairly well, he's been there about a year now & loves it. Is constantly tempting us with his stories & pictures on his Flickr account. Maybe later on we can go over on a trip together or something.

its harder nowdays cause I have a fulltime job and need to schedule a vacation based on how many PTO days I have, as far as money I can probably do overtime for a month and get enough for the trip.

I've been planning a trip to Japan for awhile now. (since college) Now that I have a job, I probably have enough money saved up to go, the main problem is getting enough time off. I'd like to go for a month and take an intensive language class when I'm there. ^_^;

• 4 months later...

Okay all you Japan veterans listen up. I am very seriously considering going on a trip to Japan for the World Sci-Fi Con in Yokahama 8/30 thru 9/3. I plan on taking a non-stop flight from Newark to Tokyo which according to the schedule is about 14 hours. I was planning on leaving on the 28th, arriving on the 29th at or about 1:00 PM, and leaving on the 3rd and recovering on the 4th.

The only thing that bugs the hell out of me is jet lag. Once I

Okay all you Japan veterans listen up. I am very seriously considering going on a trip to Japan for the World Sci-Fi Con in Yokahama 8/30 thru 9/3. I plan on taking a non-stop flight from Newark to Tokyo which according to the schedule is about 14 hours. I was planning on leaving on the 28th, arriving on the 29th at or about 1:00 PM, and leaving on the 3rd and recovering on the 4th.

The only thing that bugs the hell out of me is jet lag. Once I

• 1 month later...

i want to go to japan so badly. they have all the coolest technoligy and their language sounds cool. when i am in high school i will take japanese and then i will go to japan. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan to go to school for Japanese.

I also plan to HOPEFULLY

Study abroad?

That would make my life.

Hehaha.

<3

If not.. I don't know..

Make a trip out there SOME time in my life.

Even if i'm wrinkly old.

• 2 months later...

I'm goin next year with my friends :lol: Going to Japan is really expensive :shock: Four of my friends are going to Japan sometime around June, wish I could have gone with them.

Hopefully in two years I might be studying abroad in Japan and then I'm planning to stay at Singapore for awhile and then go back to Japan

I want to goto Japan too! Aiming for a trip there sometime in 2008 with a couple friends that also wanna go. Saving up money from this part time job I have is gonna be hard >< Oh well, gonna be fun when I get to go :lol: How much average will a week or 2 stay will cost do you think?

I'm goin next year with my friends :D Going to Japan is really expensive :shock: Four of my friends are going to Japan sometime around June, wish I could have gone with them.

Hopefully in two years I might be studying abroad in Japan and then I'm planning to stay at Singapore for awhile and then go back to Japan

Actually, it isn't really that expensive -- no more so than New York City. When you factor out the cost of airfare, it's pretty close.

One trick when estimating cost is to base all your estimates on 100 y to the dollar, rather than whatever the actual exchange rate happens to be. (It was about 115 yen to the dollar last time I was there.) That way, unless the yen really tanks, you've got a nice little buffer for stuff you might otherwise forget, like the cost of converting currency.

• 4 months later...

Hmmm bit of a gap here... rest assure I'm not "post padding"...

My friends and I are trying to save in the range of $50-$75 per paycheck in order to have enough to take a 2 week excursion within the next few years. Our goal is to get there for Golden Week, the newest Naruto movie, or the newest Detective Conan movie... but ultimately we just want to get there and that's putting it lightly :wink:

*snickers* Per some other friends' request, we're gonna record the purchase of panties from the vending machine :D Those Japanese are so perverted lol...

Thanks for the tip =)

Whats so expensive about Golden Week for 3-4 guys/girls whom will most likely spend most our nights (the ones we don't have specific plans for) drinking sake and meeting as many people as we can lol :?:

Aside all the price fluxuation and what not, why would an over-all kid's week off of school be all that more expensive?

Yeah.....just like in the US, holidays in Japan see a bump in traffic and travel, and with increased demand there is increased price. Lots of folks who work overseas come home or fly their families out, among other things.

Talk to a travel agent like the ones suggested to get better prices, and ALWAYS do a little research yourself first. A good travel agent is a FINE thing, but a bad one will cost you money.

I thoroughly recommend the Lonely Planet guide (which has a great foldout subway map), the Berlitz pocket phrasebook (which has phrases written in both languages so if you really get frustrated you can point to something in a book), and a LOT of online research.

Staying in Tokyo? Stay near a major subway hub where multiple lines overlap. I stayed near Shinjuku station one time, and near Shiodome another time, and in both cases being near a subway stop was a HUGE help in navigation. Make sure your hotel at least *claims* to have English speaking staff -- bigger hotels almost always do.

Stay in the best hotel you can afford -- not necessarily the most expensive one. Especially when you're on the go, you really want a good night's sleep, and being tired and cranky will diminish the value. You can get a LOT for your $200 or so per night, and the one thing that is worth the money is good service. And dont' plan on sleeping two to a bed unless you're VERY close -- the Japanese don't turn a blind eye to Otakon-style sleeping arrangements, at least not in decent hotels, and the beds tend to be smaller there anyway. Make sure you have a western-style bathroom (and thus, toilet paper) and for goodness' sake, take advantage of the fact that they have proper baths there...

DO find your local convenience store (conbini) -- Family Mart, Am/Pm, Sunkuss, and 7-11 are all great places for snacks, and you can get decent sandwiches. I did conbibi breakfast just about every day. But also, pay attention to the trash cans and recycling cans and use them properly.

Sigh -- I really need to put together that travel tips site.

Actually... I failed to mention I have a good friend teaching EngRish with his wife in Tokyo. I think he's gonna let us recover from jetlag and spend a day or 2 finding a good hotel to stay in while we're there so that's helpful... pretty sure he's taking us out on the town a few nights to hit all the local social scenes and live up the night life. He said something about stopping by the Akihabara in a folly attempt to school me in DDR... that will be the day *snickers*

Kind of a side point but a good lesson all the same is hold on to your friends no matter how distant! Zar, my friend I'm talking about, was no more than a guildy in Everquest for about 3 years before we really started hanging out in the game (especially after the big guild gettogether of '04 in Atlanta, GA) He happened to be a contractor at the time in transportation in the sand trap making some $$$$$, but when he finished that he and his Japanese wife moved to Tokyo and he's been working at the high school for the past few years now.

The small but strong connections you make in life, hold onto them, you won't regret it, as here I am going to see someone on the other side of the world that I met in an online game :wink:

Ok soap off :roll:

I want to go to japan but i need to know the language first because i wouldn't want to go there with out knowing it, it would make things differently.

I want to go to japan but i need to know the language first because i wouldn't want to go there with out knowing it, it would make things differently.

My first trip to Tokyo, I was there for two days utterly by myself, with only politeness words and a Berlitz guide to help.....and I did just fine. It's a challenge, but I found it exhilarating.

OBSERVATION: When people see a 6'5" blond guy, they tend to assume you don't speak Japanese and will know nothing; merely being polite and patient will go a long way. Shopkeepers will borrow the college kid from next door proactively, students will try out their limited English on you, little kids will stare, and old people will either smile at you or hunch away in fear. :)