Hey all,

I Cosplayed as the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3 this year. I won second place in the Journeyman Division for the Saturday Morning Costume Contest. Anyway, at the Fashion Show that night, I was told by a staffer that there are no prizes or certificates unless you got first place. Anyone know anything about this?

Dave

Yeah, I won second place in the Craftsman Division for my Alucard costume from the Hellsing Manga, and I didn't get anything either.

I was told by a con staffer that there were only prizes for the four first place winners in each division. Which I think is pretty lame, considering. I think it's especially lame that we weren't even invited to the winner's circle photo shoot. I'm not even sure what the prizes for first place were, all I am aware of is that there was a photo shoot.

I had to ask dozens of people at the con before I could even find out who won and where such information was posted. No information was ever given to me.

I was highly dissapointed with the whole ordeal, though the judges were very nice, and I did enjoy talking to them. I did not, however enjoy the fact that my judging took place an hour after it was scheduled and only lasted for under five minutes.

Well, I got Saturday HCC - Novice Division: Second Place. I move up to Journeyman and was announced, so no complaints here.

The way I look at it, HCC is a way to showcase and compete against other costumes. Not really to get prizes. If I didn't get First Place, I'll try harder next year.

I found out about the winners at around 3PM on Saturday when the list was posted outside the judging room. I enjoyed the whole process of the costume contest, and I'm insanely happy I was allowed to participate, since I had worried I might not be able to get in.

It's not about the prizes, of course. I'm more than happy with the knowledge I got second place :D I just wanted to make sure I had been given the right information about the prize situation. Judging by your responces, it seems I was.

Dave

I found out about the winners at around 3PM on Saturday when the list was posted outside the judging room. I enjoyed the whole process of the costume contest, and I'm insanely happy I was allowed to participate, since I had worried I might not be able to get in.

It's not about the prizes, of course. I'm more than happy with the knowledge I got second place :) I just wanted to make sure I had been given the right information about the prize situation. Judging by your responces, it seems I was.

Dave

I was in the Friday Journeymen Ragnarok Online group that won. We didn't receive certificates, but we did get a trophy and some random cute gashapon figures. It seemed odd that there were no certificates for anyone, I've recieved honorable mentions in the past and those had certificates. I agree that it's more about the competition than the prizes, but a little prize is nice. Maybe there could have been another way to acknowledge the winners after the masquerade? For example, showing a photo of the winning group when they're announced?

Thanks to the check-in staff (it couldn't have been easy with the pre-reg issues) and hall costume contest judges!

yeah... honestly... Otakon doesn't give out paper certificates for awards, and quite frankly, I think more people'd be more pleased with a paper certificate with their name on it, that they can say "hey! look what I did!", then some completely random prize, or nothing at all....

Again, to repeat for the third time now, Masquerade gave out certificates to each winning group. Please look into your facts before stating them. It is starting to mislead our participants.

Hall Costume Contest, as far as I'm aware, did not, but also realized at the same time they really should have had some made.

I know they had certificates; I hand-signed the buggers and there were a bunch of them.

As for Hall Costume Contest, this is the first year they've been a separate event with a separate head. It'll go on the "to be improved next year" list.

Again, to repeat for the third time now, Masquerade gave out certificates to each winning group. Please look into your facts before stating them. It is starting to mislead our participants.

Hall Costume Contest, as far as I'm aware, did not, but also realized at the same time they really should have had some made.

He is right though.. we did not have certificates for Hall Costuming this year, but we did realize that we should have had some, and I think for next year we will correct this.

I will make sure all of these issues (no 2nd place prize, no certificates, no photoshoot) are brought up at the appropriate staff meetings, if that is any consolation. Can't guarantee that all of these will change, but they will be addressed at the least.