All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Cheaper Badges for 2018

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm going to bring it up here. While at Katsucon, I did notice Otakon doing some at-con registration here. One of the big things that came out of this: cheaper badges will be offered this year. How it works is like this: outside of Sunday, Day Badges are not being offered. Rather, there's going to be three tiers of badges: The regular badge, which will be offered at regular price; The Saturday and Sunday badge, which will be $70; The Sunday only badge, which will be $40. This is likely going to be good news for those who only plan to attend on either Saturday or Sunday and don't want to pay the full price for just one day.
  3. Hate to ask again

Early registration took place at Katsucon this year, with going online hopefully by the end of the month.
  4. Last week
  5. Hate to ask again

And even when it opens, they're not going to issue 10,000 registrations in five minutes. So if you need to wait for your next paycheck, you should still be able to get the discount.
  6. Hate to ask again

If we look back over the past 5 years, online registration has opened on: 02/17/2017 02/22/2016 03/24/2015 03/08/2014 02/18/2013 The average of those dates is March 1st and the standard deviation is about 2 weeks. So there is a reasonable probability of online registration opening sometime between now and 3/14/18.
  7. Hate to ask again

I hate to ask again but we’re getting close to the end of February and I was just wondering when would registration be open?
  8. Otakon 2018 Guest Request

I would like to throw out yet another vote for THE ORAL CIGARETTES ~!! They are amazing~! Also, I would love love love if Anisong/Lantis could be brought back
  9. Otakon 2018 Guest Request

I would love to see yui id also like to see stereopony get back together or see scandal or maybe even baby metal at the con
  10. The 2018 Washington Area Travelers Advisory Thread

If anything, it's a reminder that it's really nice to have a hotel. I'm getting on the red after the con, but the other way to Union station, from where I'm catching a train to BWI...where I'll stay a night ahead of a crack-of-dawn flight to *another con.*
  11. Otakon 2018 Guest Request

I would love to see cosplayers Stella Chuu and Yaya Han back at Otakon again. Also, may I recommend some KPop acts doing a concert, or at least the Matsuri? I know groups like EXO, Bigbang or Blackpink may be big asks but it would be a welcome change outside of JPop performers/bands. Lastly, for the 18+, book some hentai writers/voice actors/idols for panels/Q&A/autograph sessions, Marica Hase for example?
  12. The 2018 Washington Area Travelers Advisory Thread

Oh my, those are some significant changes. Fortunately, my travels don't take me through those affected lines. Same can't be said other expected Otakon goers.
  13. The 2018 Washington Area Travelers Advisory Thread

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/2018/02/part-metro-red-line-shutdown-august-new-shutdowns-announced/ No trains through Rhode Island Avenue or Brookland-CUA on the Red Line all August, single tracking through downtown on blue, orange and silver starting 8/11 (Saturday).
  14. Exciting news from Otakon!! Panel and workshop applications are now open! Applications will be taken until April 7th... and may the odds be ever in your favor!
  15. http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/opening-ceremony/ Joined by Akiko Yano, The 6821 Quintet, Shodo Girls (from a Fukuoka high school) and a DC-area taiko group. NYC-based Kana Uemura will perform on 4/18. Performers for Sakura Matsuri haven't yet been announced.
  16. Earlier
  17. Arcades thread the third

HELL YES!!!!!!11111 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Arcades thread the third

Per a good friend's analysis of the Round1 quarterly investor report, Round1 is opening a location in Towson Town Center around Fall of 2019.
  19. Your first Otakon

I hadn't thought of this in years! it's still in my collection. I think the roll came out just right, and we're all the better for it. I want to thank you for all of this . . . and more. Otakon has brought so much to those both here on the forum and those who never will be here. Thank you.
  20. Otakon 2018 Guest Request

It would be awesome to have guests involved with Fooly Cooly. Especially since the new seasons are coming out. I'd really like to see Kari Wahlgren, Barbara Goodson, and have the pillows perform.
  21. Otakon 2018 Guest Request

I second Justin Briner. He's slowly, but very surely becoming bigger, so I'd say he's already relevant enough. His role as Deku on My Hero Academia was the role that definitely put him on the map. If the staff decides to invite him, I'm all for it, since MHA in my opinion is probably the best shonen series in recent years.
  22. The 2018 Washington Area Travelers Advisory Thread

Something important to note for 2018. If you are taking metro, note that parking rates have changed, and are now in effect on Saturdays. These rates vary from station to station, so read carefully. RINKU to New Rates
  23. There is a proposal to bring Japanese high speed rail technology (SCMAGLEV, researched and developed by JR Central) over to the U.S., specifically the NorthEast Corridor. Here's the site for The Northeast MAGLEV, a private U.S.-based organization that is pushing to bring SCMAGLEV over to the U.S.: http://northeastmaglev.com/ Currently, there's two phases for this SCMAGLEV line, phase 1 is constructing an SCMAGLEV line between Washington D.C. to Baltimore with a station at BWI Airport, phase 2 is extending the SCMAGLEV line to New York City, a potential third phase has been reported and that would extend SCMAGLEV from NYC to Boston. Phase 1 is currently undergoing an environmental impact study: http://bwmaglev.info/ According to this February 2018 presentation: http://northeastmaglev.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/TNEM-Presentation-February-2018.pdf page 6 has the map with the proposed stations, D.C, BWI Airport, Baltimore, Wilmington, Delaware, PHL Airport, EWR Airport, NYC then it says "Future Service to Boston" page 7 states that there's been 8+ years of privately funded work to bring SCMAGLEV to the U.S. and that Japan has actually offered to fund $5 billion+ and there is a technology transfer agreement in place to bring SCMAGLEV from Japan to the U.S. Page 8 lists a 15 minute estimated ride between Baltimore and D.C. Page 10 states that the projected year for construction for the D.C.-Baltimore section is "late 2020."
  24. Here's a link to their guest list: https://www.universalfancon.com/special-guests-2/
  25. There's a new fandom con launching in Baltimore in April. This con will be a 3 day con that runs non-stop from Friday to Sunday at the Baltimore Convention Center. Despite this con being a first year con, this con has a large guest list: https://blog.universalfancon.com/fanconpressrelease020118/ This con is attempting to be a very diverse and inclusive con according to their press release. Does this sound like an interesting con to anyone on here and is anyone plans to attend this con?
  26. Your first Otakon

I had been dragged to my first anime convention in late 2002 because there was a DDR tournament going on there. I slowly but surely discovered the joy of cosplay, anime, AMVs, the dealer's room, the dance, etc. And then I discovered a lot of my friends were discovering the same things as well. I remember getting the DVDs for Great Teacher Onizuka and had a good time watching them. Started to discover more anime by attending more conventions in the area... and in 2004, I went to my first Otakon. Roomed with a bunch of people in the Marriott, spent 3 hours in line on Friday to pick up my badge, took tons of pictures and saw lots of things that tickled my fancy. I've been going to Otakon since my first one in 2004, and after 10 years of being an attendee, I found a way onto staff (AMV Theater) in 2014. Considering that I had been part of the AMV community in some way since my first anime convention back in 2002, I figured the AMV Theater is the best place for me to share my love with the convention. I should be getting my 5-Year pin at this year's convention -- time flies!
  27. It's 4/27-29 at the BCC. They just announced seiyuu Yuriko Yamaguchi (Ritsuko in Eva, Nico Robin in One Piece, Orochimaru in Naruto) and already had Saori Kobayashi (music for Panzer Dragoon Saga/Orta and Crimson Dragon). https://www.universalfancon.com/ Also, they've got Steve Blum, Phil LaMarr and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Other guests include Billy Dee Williams, Kristian Nairn, The Triforce Quartet and Orlando Jones. (Disclosure: I might be volunteering for them.)
  1. Load more activity