All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Earlier
  2. Otakon Vegas 2018 Rooms and Tickets are open!
  3. Otakon 2017 Cosplay Pictures

I'm late! I'm late! I'm late for an important date! Well, late to the thread but here are my dozens & dozens of fotos I took from the 24th Otakon! Please ASK before reposting / resharing. FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY Have a super sparkly day.
  4. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

Thinking about it.
  5. Hotels

I'm just glad I live in the DMV area and I can have someone drop me off at the nearby Metro Station.
  6. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

The first few years of NYCC were focused on giving the attendees great experiences. Companies would give out great swag just for showing up, panels were easy to attend, overcrowding issues would get addressed year to year, etc. Once they hit that critical point where tickets were selling out BEFORE guest and panel announcements then the focus of the organizers switched to squeezing out the most value out of the attendees and exhibitors that fit in the Javitts. As Aux10 said above, the attendee (and their disposable income) became the product. More upcharges for convention exclusives, more upcharges for panels hosted outside the Javitts, more crowding in exhibitor and artist spaces, no transferring badges if you bought one day and it turns out the thing you want to see is announced for another day, very little in terms of line and crowd management, the list of complaints can go on and on. The only reason I have tickets for this year is because my wife ordered them during the pre-sale just in case they announced anything good later which is a backwards way of attending a convention. That is not to say that NYCC has bad content, there are plenty of good things that happen at NYCC to fill out the weekend. My issue with them is that they intentionally sell tickets to you blind and then once the schedule gets announced its a free-for-all of either camping out lines or paying extra to see just a fraction of that content with no improvements in sight. Compare that mentality to Otakon where the majority of the show is presented for the attendees enjoyment all under one membership. You can wait and see what guests or events are happening so you know what kind of value you are getting out of attending the show. Even a show like PAX which is also run by Reed and has similar crowding and sellout issues spends a lot more resources into making sure that all the attendees are having a good time even if you are camped out on a high demand panel line.
  7. Hotels

Personally, I consider the Renaissance to be the Holiday Inn of the DC hotels (as in it being the ideal hotel of choice for those with taller vehicles that can't get into parking garages).
  8. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

I'm curious, what makes NYCC so "unfriendly to attendees"? Also, one of the reasons why badges didn't sold just as fast because it's making it harder for scalpers to grab them by the bunch.
  9. Hotels

I'm beginning to feel that the Renaissance is going to be what the "Day's Inn" was when Otakon was in Baltimore. In other words, it's going to be the second most wanted hotel to stay in compared to the Marriott.
  10. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

Oh man, I wish I could go, but I'm afraid I've got a football game to attend that weekend. Maybe next year...
  11. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

That's the weekend of Derpycon in Morristown, NJ...
  12. Hotels

Based on the way the Renaissance welcomed us as a group - and my family in particular - they are my choice. Granted, nothing's been announced yet. We just need to remain patient. The rooms will be announced and - quickly - a chunk of them will be gone. But there are so many hotels around the area (from walking distance to Metro distance) we are all bound to have options.
  13. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

I have a hotel room for the con but probably won't pre-reg unless they announce really good Japanese guests.
  14. Hotels

Hmm. I am interested in the Renissance. I always love hotels that really go all out for anime conventions.
  15. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

Remember, at commercialized conventions like NYCC it's the other way around. You, the attendee, are the product, not the customer.
  16. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

Heard of, certainly. Organizers are friends. Considering attending. Always nice to hit shows I don't have to actually work. (This is where I complain about the cost of going to NYC for a convention. $150+ parking for train up, if I'm lucky crashing with a friend, and then just the cost of being in NYC for a few days.)
  17. Anime NYC Nov 17-19, 2017. Anyone here going?

Probably not, but this piqued my interest...
  18. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

It's NYC. There are 8 million people there, plus another several million within reasonable access. Publishing and Entertainment capital, and media thrives there. They're in no danger whatsoever; their sponsors cover a big chunk of their costs in exchange for access to your eyes and the media's. It's a different model entirely.
  19. Hotels

Yes, I remember back in 2004 - 2005 era, I went back to work after Otakon, and learned that a colleague of mine had legit direct reservations at the Holiday Inn Saturday night because they were visiting a local University, and got turned away (late Saturday evening arrival) because the place was 100% sold out by Otakon and other direct bookings. The Holiday Inn got them a room somewhere else further away.
  20. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

Unfortunately, reasons = $$$$$$$$$$$$ Luckily the badges sold relatively slow this year so hopefully they improve the show to enough of a degree to justify paying for more than one day. It has been an extremely attendee unfriendly convention ever since tickets sold out faster than their guest / activity announcements.
  21. Hotels

That was an issue of those hotels being overbooked in general, not that they refused to honor independent bookings. If anything the direct hotel bookings are given preference since they can not push the blame on the third party convention booking, but in practice it is just first come first served and its up to the hotel manager to offer a make-good package. That is why I always get to hotel check-in early so that I am never at risk for an overbooked hotel. This tends to be a rare case now because group sales and general hotel bookings are now querying the same database- hence why the Marquis is suddenly "unavailable". Anyone that manages to secure both the Marquis direct booking and the Otakon rate will surely cancel the more expensive direct booking.
  22. Hi all! Like the subject says, there's going to be an anime con in New York City this coming November called Anime NYC at the Jacob Javits Center. I'm attending. Anyone else here heard of it and also plan to attend as well?
  23. Hotels

Maybe you thinking that some hotels would actually overbook for certain dates, which tends to happen. I think if you book a room using web sites like Hotel.com, Priceline, and other legitimate hotel room brokers (if that's the right term for them), and paid in advance for said room, you're set. Otherwise, I think it would still be a "first come, first served" basis.
  24. Suggestion: bring back daily passes

It's kind of funny that New York Comic Con just did away with multi-day badges this year and now sell only daily badges. Of course they have their own reasons.
  25. Hey! I live in Chelsea, too. Small world. Anyway, I'm going to Anime NYC as well. May start a thread about it later on. Also, NYCC do have some anime industry panels going on, too.
  26. Hotels

I don't understand how the hotel could differentiate between a con goer or a busniess person or someone on vacation maybe people booked with a "so called con provider" that wasn't legit thus the reservation didn't actually exist
  1. Load more activity