All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yesterday
  3. Firisil

Maide cafe

That should be the style of chair we get for the Cafe as we have been moved into the convention center and will be using their facilities and seating supplies...Thanks Otakucop for the followup!
  4. The Otakon 2018 convention schedule has been released! We’ve lined up tons of amazing programming and events for you to enjoy - Find your favorites, tell your friends, and prepare to launch!
  5. .taro.

Mailed Badges

Nope, you can do it any time.
  6. FoxyProxyRoxy

Katsudon Anybody?

I'm seeing two places that have katsudon/tonkatsu on the menu in the Chinatown area; Umaya Izakaya and Momiji. Umaya is $12 and you can choose either chicken or pork. Momiji is pork only for $10 but looks like a lunch special only. I haven't been to either of them but Umaya looks like it's gonna be on my to try list. Momiji looks like it's mostly a hibachi & sushi place.
  7. Ashourii

Mailed Badges

I hope it's not a short time window for the new activation step since I will be spending the next two weeks out of state.
  8. Krabstarr

Mailed Badges

Thanks for keeping us informed!
  9. TomDent

Question about Cosplay Potion Bottles

Will do! Thank you so much!
  10. GasparAKAShiggitay

Hatsune Miku concert is just a few days away!

Okay now that I"m home from my freakin' (partially accidental) almost 17h work shift, here's the text version, and possibly loose script for my Miku Expo NYC 2018 ...review... video. Not sure if it's a review, but more of a reaction to my seeing this same kind of thing a second time, and how it compares and contrasts with then (2014) and now (2018). Okay, so first off the line wrapping around the Hammerstein Ballroom (aka Manhattan Center) was interestingly done. It was VIP in front, and then everyone else directly behind them, with gaps between where there were storefronts along 34th street there. I don't remember it being like that back in 2014. I think I remember just walking in with my ticket in hand, and my friends and I went up to the balcony and we waited for the show to begin. Next, I was sort of disappointed and a little bit mad that some of the songs that Miku did didn't feature her in her "proper" outfit/module for the song, i.e. Senbonzakura. She was singing and doing all the choreographic moves etc in her normal outfit, and while that outfit isn't bad (I find her cute in it) I really wanted to see them use the proper module... Was it due to licensing stuff? Other petty stuff that couldn't be worked out before the show? Who knows, but I was sad I couldn't see her in her true glory for that song. I was happy that Rin's "Meltdown" featured her in her song proper outfit, and I was jammin' to that song so hard. On a side note to this point I'm happy they didn't have Len sing "Fire Flower"... This might be an unpopular opinion and I apologize in advance, but I don't like Len all that much, and I dislike that song a good deal. Back in 2014 when that song came on all the prepubescent/teenage girls went NUTS... It was interesting to see/hear. Third, this was my first time in the standing area vs in a seat in the balcony. I'm 6'2", and I could most of the time see the Vocaloids prancing around on stage just fine, but it was somewhat of a struggle, like @Daniel Perales said, with the super tall people in front, making it a challenge to shimmy around to see stuff on stage at any given moment. And lastly for now I was sort of disappointed with the song set/list this year... Back in 2014 they had so many more awesome tracks (I really only know the Project Diva songs and a few others not in the games) and I was sad certain songs never left PjD to be performed in a live setting, some examples being Kyoudai Shoujo (Giant Girl), Kagerou Daze (Heat Haze Days) and World's End Dancehall, to name a few. All in all I enjoyed seeing my "waifu" (lol) on stage again, and I'd do it again if the pattern was to continue in 2020, since it seems to happen every two years. Thanks for reading, and I'll try and get a video version of this reaction/pseudo-review up on one of my YouTube channels (not sure if it'll a vlog or a regular video yet).
  11. OtakuCop

Question about Cosplay Potion Bottles

Well neither liquid filled props, nor glass are specifically prohibited in our policy. The only thing in our policy that addresses any liquids is for squirt guns and how they can't be operational or be filled. I would say if you are careful, and ensure they are glued properly, that they should be fine. Just be careful with them so they don't break (more so watching out for others bumping into you).
  12. jonathan.nori

Any lolita panels or events planned for 2018?

There is going to be a Lolita hat workshop this year. It's going to be fancier, with larger hat designs, than we've done in previous years.
  13. Last week
  14. GasparAKAShiggitay

Thanks for the mention, Dan! It was cool to meet someone else from the Otakon forums. I'm at work currently but I plan on filming a video talking about how I felt about this year's Miku Expo concert, and some other things related to it. Stay tuned for that! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Daniel Perales

Well, Miku Expo NYC has came and left. My Thoughts: The Good The venue have gave people a chance to buy their merchandise/souvenirs by letting us enter, look then buy then going back out in our place in line. Some fans were providing us water while we were standing on line outside. Thank goodness the day wasn't as hot and humid like last week. The set list was like a 50/50 mix of old vocaloids songs with some new ones. The audience was just as energetic as ever. Got to meet Gaspar at the end of the concert. The "Not so Good" Why do tall people always seems to manage to get to the front most of the time? My view wasn't so bad, since the person in front of me was kind enough to provide a gap for me to view through. The projected image of the Vocaliod characters was a bit too soft or slightly out of focus compared to the last concert I've attended. Kind of spoiled the "realism" look to them. While the supporting band was pretty good, they were overpowering sometimes. In other words, you can barely hear Miku and the rest sing. Overall: I did have fun at the concert, but not as much fun that it was worth the $170 VIP for. I mean, why pay good money only to mostly watch the back of people's heads? Next time, I'll wait for reserved seating when it becomes available. The VIP swag they gave us is as follows: A plastic Miku hand-fan, Miku Expo Guide book, and insert advertisement of a game called "Unison League", a cloth VIP sticker, a Miku Expo Neck towel, and a VIP badge with a 3D picture of Miku hooked on a lanyard, all inside a black cloth bag. That's it! Hopefully everyone else had a great time! Too bad Gaspar and some others that I met couldn't stick around long enough and at least get something to eat and talk about stuff. Take care!
  16. This year I'm trying to finish up my Link cosplay from Legend of Zelda. As part of the costume, I bought three small bottles (each one roughly the size of a baseball though not round) and planned to either carry them in a leather satchel I made or tie them to the shoulder strap of my satchel so they can be seen at all times. All three bottles are glass (I'm trying to switch to plastic if I can find ones with the right look) and I planned to make a small fairy to put in one and different colored water to look like potions in the other two (they are also corked and sealed with hot glue). So what I'm asking is this: Are liquid filled bottles as I described allowed as part of a cosplay and if they are, then are glass bottles allowed or do I need to switch to something else like plastic?
  17. Phase 2 of the BCC expansion and renovation study has been approved and is expected to begin sometime in Fall 2018: https://mdstad.com/studies/baltimore-city-convention-center-renovation-expansion-study
  18. .taro.

Mailed Badges

So yeah, last word I got things are on track for badges to *start* getting mailed on July 18th with everything hopefully in the mail by the 23rd. I'll post something if any of that changes. There will be a new activation step this year. Instructions will be in the mailer. Just go to a website and enter the badge number and your name.
  19. Krabstarr

Hiro's Lounge

With Hiro's Lounge not returning to Otakon for 2018, is there any reason that can be shared with the general membership for this?
  20. Daniel Perales

I'll be going in the next 2 hours.
  21. GasparAKAShiggitay

Mailed Badges

@LegendaryBroli Oh I'd hope so... lol I'm leaving here Tuesday morning of Ota week.. I paid the shipping upgrade etc fee when preregging during Anime Boston this year... LineRiding at this point would be a waste of time. lol.
  22. GasparAKAShiggitay

Miku Expo Day NYC hast arriveth! Who's excited?!
  23. OtakuCop

Prop weapon question (gun)

Under our revised weapon/prop policy this would be permitted if it is empty & incapable of squirting water. So you would have to modify it in some way that's not functional (plug the barrel, immobilize or remove the trigger, would be two examples). Here is the current policy concerning these specific prop weapons:
  24. ashlynx

Prop weapon question (gun)

I want my character to have a gun for his cosplay (it just wouldn't be the same without), but his gun is a realistic looking one. I know fantasy guns that could clearly never be seen as "real" are one thing, but I got a cheap-o water gun and spray painted it black. It came with a pretty large bright neon orange tip, which I removed before spray painting and put back on after (the trigger pull is also orange, which I covered with tape before spray painting). It actually looked a lot more realistic than I was expecting before I spray painted it though. I'd still need to do a bit of other work to make it look like the character's gun, but I just want to confirm that an empty water gun, spray painted black, but with the bright orange tip + trigger, would still be acceptable.
  25. Daniel Perales

When I had the VIP in my first concert (back in 2014), they let us in 15 minutes before the main crowd. They gave us this swag bag (containing a vinyl record of the single "Sharing Your World", glow sticks, backstage pass, and a coupon to get a paint program for free). I skipped the merchandise line, and went right to the already crowded floor area. I manage to be around 3 or 4 rows away from the stage, so my views of the show was mostly decent (until some tall person gets in your way). I have the VIP again this year. My goal is to be right in the front row this time around.
  26. Hainiryuun

Yeah, the concert was good, but The Anthem is/was a different story....
  27. LegendaryBroli

Mailed Badges

So should we get them before Thursday of the con because that’s when I’m going down
  28. KyoKyo

I got home at 11:30pm and had to be up for work at 4:30am. I feel your pain.
  1. Load more activity