Schedule's up!

I just noticed that you can view the schedule (sans the Video room schedules) from the main page. I did my usual thing of making a list of panels that could be of interest to me, with alternates in case the room is full. Now I just have to figure out the gaps to go to the dealers room and artists alley, as well as returning to my hotel room to restock my supplies. (Usually this is related to which session of the AMV contest I attend.) So many panels, so little time...

Notes:

I noticed there's not RWBY photoshoot this year - not enough people? Did they go the way of most fandoms and slip down the ladder of popularity. (I'm just thinking of the popularity of Attack on Titan and Hetailia cosplay several years ago.) I do think it's cool that there's a Ranma 1/2 shoot, though I may not be able to get to it.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll need an 18+ wristband this year, as I didn't see any panels that made it necessary. (Getting into the adult area of the art show would be a side benefit to having one, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I don't.)

There seems to be a decent amount of music related panels this year. That definitely piques my interest.

Is there a reason Panel 1 is empty a good amount of time (e.g. between 1115 to 430 on Saturday)? That's a pretty big space to leave empty. Unless more programming will be added later...

Unfortunately I won't be able to see much (if any) of the 1995 AMV contest, as I'll have a train to catch. It has a couple of my favorite AMVs - Captain Nemo by Sara Brightman to Nadia, and IIRC Self Control by Laura Branigan to Devilman and My Euthanasia by Spike Jones to various anime. (Funny story, although I may not have all the details exactly right after almost 30 years - waaaaay back in 1995 the AMV contest wasn't separated by divisions / groupings, they just played them all in a row. There was one based on Grave of the Fireflies to The Eagles' Love Will Keep Us Alive that was extremely depressing. (It is Grave of the Fireflies after all.) At the end of the video the room is completely silent, and in the darkness someone yells out "The next video better be f***ing hilarious!!!" which brought the room back to having a good time. And I believe the next one was f***ing hilarious - a DBZ one possibly.)

• Thanks 1

Where are the industries?  😭  No Crunchyroll, Rightstuf, Viz, Goodsmile….  I miss all the freebies.  Remember the Ponycanyon paper lantern display?  Will they ever be back??  I miss the dealers room looking like Times Square.

Edited by nettefairy
1 hour ago, nettefairy said:

Where are the industries?  😭  No Crunchyroll, Rightstuf, Viz, Goodsmile….  I miss all the freebies.  Remember the Ponycanyon paper lantern display?  Will they ever be back??  I miss the dealers room looking like Times Square.

I think those days are gone forever.

I do hope there is a program book and offline schedule.

Not everyone has a phone.

Not everyone with a phone has mobile data.

Not every phone is compatible with apps.

If there is no offline schedule or reliable public wifi at the convention center, I won't have any access to any online based schedule.

The assumption that everyone always has access to a working online capable mobile device is problematic at best.

• Thanks 1

There is (or was) guest Wi-Fi at the convention center, but it will be slow. No data plan on my phone, so I would load the schedule page on the hotel Wi-Fi and keep the tab open to hook up again to the convention Wi-Fi. It was easiest if you only loaded the page for the day of the schedule, so there were fewer mistakes in finding content. They also had digital screens with the schedule grid and a marker showing the current time. Used that a bunch of times when the Wi-Fi was acting up.

Not sure if you can access the schedule on a Nintendo 3DS. Meant to try that, but Nintendo shut down the store for it.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Caloris said:

I do hope there is a program book and offline schedule.

Not everyone has a phone.

Not everyone with a phone has mobile data.

Not every phone is compatible with apps.

If there is no offline schedule or reliable public wifi at the convention center, I won't have any access to any online based schedule.

The assumption that everyone always has access to a working online capable mobile device is problematic at best.

So glad you mentioned this!  My little cell phone's screen is way too small for the internet.  I use public computers to post here.

A few days before Otakon, I'll go through the schedule via the public computer, and write down the things I'd like to see.  There's always the chance that the schedule has changed by the time Otakon starts.  So, for things I REALLY want to see, I'll check the digital boards at the convention to make sure those things haven't been canceled or moved to another time.