Otakon 2024 Hotel Block Opens August 7th at Noon

I have to assume some of the hotels haven't hit the room block yet. I wasn't able to check until the evening, and I know some hotels like the Marriott and Renaissance go quick, but half of the hotels in the list don't turn up. A lot of those smaller hotels shouldn't book up in the first couple hours.

Yeah, the Otakon hotel Hunger Games get worse every year.  I've been doing this for 23 years, and this was even worse than last year.

The 2 double beds rooms in the Marquis sold out in the 1.5 seconds between when I saw them available and when I mashed the button to reserve one.

I did score a king bed room in the Marquis, but before I could request a second room, everything sold out.

We need beds for 3 people, and at that time the Hampton Inn (0.4 miles away)  was the closest room available, so I grabbed a Hampton Inn king bed.

At about 1:45, a King bed in the Courtyard just across the street from the Marquis somehow popped up, and so I grabbed that room and cancelled the Hampton Inn.

But I think that the Hampton Inn and any hotel room closer than a half mile from the convention is done and gone now.

12 hours ago, Attendee7000 said:

A lot of those smaller hotels shouldn't book up in the first couple hours.

Depending on what you're searching for, you might not see some of the smaller hotels because they only have double occupancy rooms. For example, if you put in that you have 4 guests, you'll never see Morrision-Clark, Eaton Hotel DC, or MOTTO by Hilton. 

12 hours ago, Attendee7000 said:

I have to assume some of the hotels haven't hit the room block yet.

Once Otakon figures out their actual room needs for staff, any rooms at Marriott Marquis and Renaissance they had blocked off for staff that aren't needed will be released to the general population. No ideas on when that actually happens, though. 

*shrugs* Lesson learned I guess. Otakon insists on having the hotel block go live in the middle of a work day every year. Next year I'll just book outside the block before it goes up. Their rates aren't even that competitive anymore, I can get pretty much the same rate from other sources.

10 hours ago, Attendee7000 said:

*shrugs* Lesson learned I guess. Otakon insists on having the hotel block go live in the middle of a work day every year. Next year I'll just book outside the block before it goes up. Their rates aren't even that competitive anymore, I can get pretty much the same rate from other sources.

Agreed. I don't use social media but I usually get an email from Otakon saying when the hotel block goes up. Never got one this year and missed everything.  Guess I'll have to wait until the middle of January to find a room like I did 2 years ago.

3 minutes ago, KyoKyo said:

Agreed. I don't use social media but I usually get an email from Otakon saying when the hotel block goes up. Never got one this year and missed everything.  Guess I'll have to wait until the middle of January to find a room like I did 2 years ago.

That's what I've been doing for these past few years. There were times when I get a rate that was like up to $80 less a night for a room at the very same hotel that is on Otakon's block.

Somehow I managed to get a double bedded room at the Marquis. I was suprised to see it on the list as soon as everything went live since that didn't happen last year. I kept getting all kinds of error messages while booking and thought I'd lost it several times, but it somehow went through. I've even saved my comfirmation email to two different email addresses and screenshot it to my phone, just in case. I did try to book a second room there or at the Renaissance (or anywhere within half a mile of the WEWCC), but by the time I finished booking the Marquis room, everything was gone. We'll have our biggest group ever next year with around 8 people, but by some of the dumbest luck, I was the only one available when the block went live to book the rooms. I guess I'll just have to keep checking down the road and hope I get lucky with a second room.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently Marquis is available for booking. I have a feeling that either mass overbooking was happening or the Marquis themselves didn't have all their rooms up for booking because come the first week of September people were able to book things again. I was able to get 2 rooms from them myself. As of recent checking too there are still some rooms available.