86 members have voted

1. 1. How is your cosplay made?

• You make it yourself
    • Your friend makes it
    • You buy it

I've been making my own costumes since 2003. Before that (stretching back to 1997), my friend Rin made my costumes for me. I've learned alot from her as far as sewing and construction. Even took a sewing class for myself. But I continue to learn and improve my skills with each outfit I make. It's frustrating some times, but it's also fun. ^_^

I love to make the costumes myself. It allows me a whole year to think of the patterns and accessories and kinds of fabrics that I want to make them out of so that they are as accurate as possible. Even when I make them out of paper. Although I have made costumes for my friends before as well. My mother is also an accomplished costumer and streamstess so whenever I get stuck I have an expert to ask. Which is awesome.

I try to make my costumes since I get more satisfaction out of making it. But then I'm afraid people will think it'll suck so I end up buying parts if I think it looks bad.

This year, I'm buying a suit and making a baklava from what I've thought of so far.

This will be my first year cosplaying and does it count as a group effort if about half of your family jumps in and helps you with your costume even if it isn't anything elaborate? lol

You get such a great feeling that you finished something so cool that I can't not wear someting that someone else made. It makes it all that more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my cosplays made as well as making my own from time to time (there wasn't an option for that)

A friend of mine that's a clothing designer usually makes mine for me, but we have a clear understanding of exactly what it is I want, and it helps me since I rarely have the time to make a whole cosplay myself. I pick out and buy my own material, print my reference pics, and have a lot of input on how things progress. So it's not like I just drop off a picture and my measurements and tell him "Make it so". But I also know the satisfaction of making my own cosplays as well, but again it's very time consuming so, I'll probably wind up having my made again this year.

I have my cosplays made as well as making my own from time to time (there wasn't an option for that)

A friend of mine that's a clothing designer usually makes mine for me, but we have a clear understanding of exactly what it is I want, and it helps me since I rarely have the time to make a whole cosplay myself. I pick out and buy my own material, print my reference pics, and have a lot of input on how things progress. So it's not like I just drop off a picture and my measurements and tell him "Make it so". But I also know the satisfaction of making my own cosplays as well, but again it's very time consuming so, I'll probably wind up having my made again this year.

I have no sewing/craft abilities, so I always pay someone else to make it for me. ^^0 Except last year, when I dressed as lolita...I just bought everything separately. Found a nice top, skirt, stockings, shoes, and cross choker.

I have a mix. I make a lot of my own costumes, but for Otakon stuff, my bestest friend ever helps a bit. She made my yukata, and my loli-nurse dress most recently.

I'm planning to try my hand at my own cosplay-lolita dress this year, but will likely call her for help and opinions. But, we are doing another cosplay together (I think), and she'll probably make that dress.

She doesn't charge me anything but materials. She will occasionally give me the garment for finishing; she sent me the yukata pieces with detailed instructions on how to put them together a few years ago.

Also, she usually only agrees to make things for me that she considers a challenge, or that would be interesting for her to make.

I try to make it all myself. I find it fun to spend an entire afternoon looking for the exact fabric for my Sophie dress or the right bead to add to my Zelda costume. It takes time but it's definitely one of my new hobbies! This is my first year constructing something myself, but I always have my grandmother (a seamstress) and dad (a good craftsman) to help.

Making it yourself as has a sort of gratitude with it. If you buy something and wear it and people tell you its fabulous, I, personally, feel like I stole their work.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I lack the skills and knowledge on how to sew, pattern, or otherwise create, so I am forced to buy D= I plan to learn eventually since it'd be alot easier for me, but I cant really find anyone to teach me DX

Isnt it cheaper to just make your cosplay? you could go to craft and thrift stores, ebay, or use stuff in your closet :) thats what I do anyway. and I dont know how to sew either so I just hot glue everything :D. works out just fine, as long as i dont wash anything i make....

Isnt it cheaper to just make your cosplay? you could go to craft and thrift stores, ebay, or use stuff in your closet :D thats what I do anyway. and I dont know how to sew either so I just hot glue everything :D. works out just fine, as long as i dont wash anything i make....
Isnt it cheaper to just make your cosplay? you could go to craft and thrift stores, ebay, or use stuff in your closet :unsure: thats what I do anyway. and I dont know how to sew either so I just hot glue everything :). works out just fine, as long as i dont wash anything i make....
Isnt it cheaper to just make your cosplay? you could go to craft and thrift stores, ebay, or use stuff in your closet :) thats what I do anyway. and I dont know how to sew either so I just hot glue everything :D. works out just fine, as long as i dont wash anything i make....

It's not necessarily cheaper. Especially when you factor in the worth of your time spent sewing and crafting.

*picks herself up off the floor* You hot glue fabric?! But why?! Sewing machines aren't even that expensive anymore. They have pretty good ones at Wal-Mart that run about $80-$100. And they're not as hard to use as everyone thinks. Push the pedal, make a straight stitch.

• 3 weeks later...

Thus far I've made all of my costumes, although at this point, it might have just been cheaper to buy the costume pieces myself, especially with the way I spend far more time fighting with my sewing machine to work than I actually do working on the costume. Not to mention that I end up destroying/wasting quite a bit of the supplies by messing up anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love to sew, and I love to make patterns and figure out the mathematical ways to use a fabric that is too short width wide but not length wide to figure out how to make a drape for a miroku costume sans pattern 2 to 3 days prior to the convention!!....(Okay okay, so maybe not SOOOOO much the last part, but you get the gist.)

I find sewing as a very rewarding experience where I learn new ways to do things. which is the reason I've got a good amount of projects going on as we speak...

This time around I'm teaching myself how to do appliques... a friend designed a dress that requires a very ornated Orange tree branch pattern to be put on a dress in such and such places.

I'm going into Fashion design as a Sophomore in college, so I hope to learn more about pattern creation in the coming year... so my hobby kind of became a lifestyle for me.

• 2 months later...

Basically rather than making it all from scratch I will call it piecing together because what I usually do is thrift shop for pieces and parts and modify them into a cosplay. I then make my own props. So I guess it is a bit of both buying and making mixed with alot of creativity. ^_^

i build what i believe to be the MAIN portion of my cosplay from scratch. i get started on it tomorrow actually :blink:! the other part which is just a suit i buy! i prefer to build my cosplay things such as weapons/props. that way if you build it its YOURS and nobody can take that away from you

I bought mine at first , now my friend made mine for htis year's otakon... and hopefully i will make my next cosplay which is gonna be Yuki from Gravitation

Edited by Kamina_Team L

I make all of my cosplays myself ever since I started cosplaying (2003). For me the feeling of making it by myself and going to cons is so...gratifying. Especially when people comment how nice it looks or any other compliments it just makes me feel pleased that I did it by myself. I only had to commission a prop from a friend cause a college dorm was not a good place to be doing that sort of stuff. Working with epoxy was bad enough ;) . Though now I'm experimenting with prop making and a tad of armor. Man that stuff is expensive to fiddle with :P

making - mine and others' tho when RL throws crap at you and you have to tell someone you can't make it, it's heartbreaking T_T

but nonetheless! i've noticed i've started to gravitate towards crafted costumes (armor and such) and am having a crazy awesome fun time with it. lots of hot glue is necessary to hold fabric onto the armor and whatnot, but making your own costumes really challenges your imagination and ability to find use out of the most random things (like a tuna can and lid from spaghetti sauce) ^_^

tho if you're using hot things like boiling water and friendly plastic... be careful not to burn your thumbs :(

Making both mine and my bf's. Just starting to get into this whole cosplay thing, and I just think it's a lot of fun making my own costume. *^_^*

I enjoy making my cosplays over buying them any day. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in completing a costume, but not just that, i'm artsy fartsy. So I like the process just as much as the final product.

I will buy a few random things, ex. being my Faye costume. She wears a loose work shirt tied around her mid section and the sleeves pulled up so they cover below her shoulders and above the elbow. Why make something simple when it is just as easy to buy. If i was entering this in the competition i would have made something like that...but otherwise..meh

I usually make my own costumes or I go to a thrift store and buy specific pieces and mod them for whatever I need. This year I ended up having my Utena jacket comissioned by a family friend and it turned out to be way better than anything I could ever do. The rest of the costume was made by me ^_^

I make all of my cosplays by hand. I buy the fabric and do all the sewing by myself. My mom always tries to get me to let her help with the sewing, but I would rather do it by myself... I'm VERY PICKY when it comes to my costumes!!!! LoL

thats the opposit of me when I first started my mother wanted me to do it myself but I wouldn't, some of them were hand made too but I don't have the time to hand sew or rather the apcients. but now that we got a new sewing machine I have sewn my own for ... 4 years? perhaps 5 I still have a lot of learning to do ...i'm still winging it ;_;

I do a bit of both buy and make, I work at a arts n craft store so usualy my props are made with supplies from there, I usualy buy the outfit and add my own accsessories to it and last but not least I try to use wigs atleast 5 times before putting money out to get a new one.

I wouldn't dream of buying a "costume" pre-made. Like, I've seen a bunch of Sora, Roxas, or Xemnas sets.

But I'm not big on sewing either. I've been buying the basic items seperately, then altering if necessary. Thankfully my costumes require relatively little altering. Like, my blazer for Kasumi from Rose Hip Zero- I didn't see the point in making such a basic piece of clothing. I found a $10 white one in my size & I'm dying it. "Eternity Fashion" here in Philly has some pretty crazy styles, and I was able to find a $12 dress exactly like Marvel Girls from X-Men. Jesse from Pokemon is going to be the toughest. I'm trying to make the boots for her- with mostly me helping my mom do it... How successful it will be is doubtful... :angry:

A friend's making it for me, as I have about as much skill with a sewing as a someone with no hands.

However, I like working with props. I've got a wood shop in the garage that's great for that sorta thing. I'm not a master craftsman by any means, but it comes to me much easier than sewing and altering clothes.

A friend's making it for me, as I have about as much skill with a sewing as a someone with no hands.

However, I like working with props. I've got a wood shop in the garage that's great for that sorta thing. I'm not a master craftsman by any means, but it comes to me much easier than sewing and altering clothes.

I love cosplaying, but I'm terrible at sewing and I don't enjoy doing it, so my costume was mostly made by my mom. She actually is into sewing, so doesn't mind it that much, but I still try to help out and lighten her load. Hah, but she didn't want to make a new one this year, so I'm reusing last year's.

I'm not terribly advanced when it comes to sewing. If the costume is fairly simple, I'll attempt to make it myself. If it's something more complicated I'll have it commissioned.

95% of the time make all of my own props and accessories, though. And I'll cut and style my own wigs on my own. I'm just inept with sewing.